Surviving Minnesota!

Those are all possibilities. I had no mites last winter and I had them the winter before. The common denominator for this winter and 2 years ago is the introduction of adult birds.

Chicks or hatching eggs.
Chicks or hatching eggs.
Chicks or hatching eggs.

What a mess. And of course I'm worried about him with the blood and scabbing and compromised feathering letting the cold in.

Hiya Rhetts.

Last edited:
Those are all possibilities. I had no mites last winter and I had them the winter before. The common denominator for this winter and 2 years ago is the introduction of adult birds.

Chicks or hatching eggs.
Chicks or hatching eggs.
Chicks or hatching eggs.

What a mess. And of course I'm worried about him with the blood and scabbing and compromised feathering letting the cold in.

Hiya Rhetts.

No one should be forced to decide between Chicks or Hatching eggs. So I don't. Just get both.

Last edited:
Well I am getting my first chick in January this year. Minnie is gonna hatch some Cochins for me!!

That is actually the turkey supervision crew. Nothing can be done here without inspection and approval by turkeys.

I am carrying a bale of wood chips to Bert Jr and his gals, they decided they needed to tag along.

I was trying to figure out why Bertha has not given me an egg in a while. Then it dawned on my pea brain....DUH.. It is only light 8 hours a day and she has no artificial light.......SO slow I can be....

Last edited:
Amazing difference in those eggs.

Well yuck!!!

I just spent the morning with a rooster festooned with mites. He didn't roost high the night before last and his back looked wet but there had been some rain snow mix so didn't really think much about a wet back. This am I saw somebody pooped on his back... A messy one. So I brought him up to clean it off. So I start water and a bit of baby shampoo and guess what comes up for breath of air. Gross gross gross. Clean him up as best I can because there's thickets of blood and exudate... Mite eggs I suppose. Blow dry to fluff him out a bit. Then Ivermectin pour on drops. Everybody else got drops too. Except Sylvia who looked like she was going to try to push me out a rare winter egg.

Ugh. Merry Christmas to me.

Yikes I didn't think they could get mites this time of year, thought it as a warm weather problem.

Chicks or hatching eggs.
Chicks or hatching eggs.
Chicks or hatching eggs.

Hiya Rhetts.
Maybe before you integrate adult birds into your flock, treat them with ivermectin first, I wonder if that would do it...

Thing is I think those birds were treated before I got them but I wonder now if the got the second round. And i looked them over...Hard to say. We've had these wild turkeys around this fall, too. Maybe my birds found their dusting pits or vice versa.

My son thinks it was the turkeys. Lol.
I should just treat any new adults regardless of what I see or don't see. You're right cluckies. Or just get chicks or hatching eggs.

Erli I think it's a fall problem when those things are looking for a cozy place for the winter. Ick.

I get the creepy crawlies just thinking about them.

Just got back in tonight from my folk's place, tucked in the chooks. Checked on the laying hen-spread the fluff- and there were mites scrambling to get out of the light of my headlamp. I'll treat her tomorrow in the morning. Eggs or no. We'll get eggs from her again. And I wonder if after treatment I will see my hens pick up on their laying. Poor things.

Back
Top Bottom