Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Those are all possibilities. I had no mites last winter and I had them the winter before. The common denominator for this winter and 2 years ago is the introduction of adult birds.

Chicks or hatching eggs.
    Chicks or hatching eggs.
    Chicks or hatching eggs.

What a mess. And of course I'm worried about him with the blood and scabbing and compromised feathering letting the cold in.

Hiya Rhetts.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

No one should be forced to decide between Chicks or Hatching eggs. So I don't. Just get both.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Well I am getting my first chick in January this year. Minnie is gonna hatch some Cochins for me!!

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Great photo Ralphie. You are the turkey whisperer.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    That is actually the turkey supervision crew. Nothing can be done here without inspection and approval by turkeys.

I am carrying a bale of wood chips to Bert Jr and his gals, they decided they needed to tag along.

I was trying to figure out why Bertha has not given me an egg in a while. Then it dawned on my pea brain....DUH.. It is only light 8 hours a day and she has no artificial light.......SO slow I can be....

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    1 person likes this.
  7. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Yikes I didn't think they could get mites this time of year, thought it as a warm weather problem.

8. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Maybe before you integrate adult birds into your flock, treat them with ivermectin first, I wonder if that would do it...

1 person likes this.
  9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Thing is I think those birds were treated before I got them but I wonder now if the got the second round. And i looked them over...Hard to say. We've had these wild turkeys around this fall, too. Maybe my birds found their dusting pits or vice versa.

My son thinks it was the turkeys. Lol.
    I should just treat any new adults regardless of what I see or don't see. You're right cluckies. Or just get chicks or hatching eggs.

Erli I think it's a fall problem when those things are looking for a cozy place for the winter. Ick.

I get the creepy crawlies just thinking about them.

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Just got back in tonight from my folk's place, tucked in the chooks. Checked on the laying hen-spread the fluff- and there were mites scrambling to get out of the light of my headlamp. I'll treat her tomorrow in the morning. Eggs or no. We'll get eggs from her again. And I wonder if after treatment I will see my hens pick up on their laying. Poor things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by