Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am thinking I am going to just give all of mine a dose. Is it two weeks we have to throw the eggs away?

How much do you use BC/ Is that the same stuff as frontline or one of those things?

And more importantly, why do I not have a ton of posts to read with coffee? Weekdays I can forgive some of you, but on Sunday I really need them!

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    5 drops Ralph for standard birds. 1 drop under each wing. One on the back. 2 by the back end. Near the vent then lower onto their abdomen. Bantams only 3 drops.

This is called ivermectin cattle pour- on.

Ralphie the easiest way to check for these things is at roost time. Headlamp on and just spread the fluff. They'll be scrambling pepper flakes on legs.

I'll admit the stuff is not cheap. I think it was around $40 for a biggish bottle. But right now... I'm dang glad I have it.

I'm kind of one that doesn't want to give meds until they really need it. And I never thought I'd be here again. But after hearing or seeing me type this stuff Ralphie I wouldn't blame you.

Give a dose, repeat in 9 days. Hold eggs all the way through and two weeks after the 9 days. So 23 days.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  3. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
  4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Morning, much warmer this morning out there, that is nice. Hope to get some stuff done today, yesterday I had a funeral and some other errands so didn't get much done outside of cleaning the coop which I do everyday. Added some more leaves into the run for the girls to dig through. It is funny, they come out into the run and are scared of the leaf pile for awhile... then they dig into it with gusto, fun stuff!

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Sorry to hear you had to go to a funeral, They are doubly sad this time of year.

When I put the new chips in Bert Jr's "coop" last night they were not sure if they even dare enter it, I thought they might spend the night in the run instead.

1 person likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    As you can see, I am bored today so posting on here.

I went out and took some pictures of my breeding roosters (not including Bert Jr and the creamers.

This is the fantastic Mr. Ed.

I love his comb, no frost bitten tips and he looks great.

[​IMG]

This is King George. As you can see he lives in prison and may never get out again. I am thinking of building him his own prison so the British gals can get out, but it is so close to breeding time, I may just leave them in with him, and then make soup out of him in May.
    [​IMG]

This is my BA. not the quality of Ed. but I like the BA hens, I liked his father, and I want to keep the line going just because they are great layers, mothers and fun chickens to have around. He will never produce a show chicken.

[​IMG]

This is Ole's son, my EE rooster. I have not named him yet. He is a little camera shy and not a lap bird, but none of mine really are. I assume he will pass on Ole's Blue egg gene. Or hope he will! He is the only EE I rooster I kept this year, the rest are in Freezer camp awaiting their chance to accompany a dumpling to the table. I really like the EE's and I liked Ole, except for the serial rapist part. I am hoping this guy will not become one of them. Right now I have these three roosters together in my main coop and have not had an issue with the hens being harassed.

[​IMG]

You have to admit, he is a handsome guy.

7. aussiegal318

aussiegal318 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    King George is looking good too bad he has a bad attitude. Mr Ed is a handsome guy. I like the tail on Ole's boy.

8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Nice photos! Celebrating MILs birthday today, so I'm away from the farm. I need to get the flick out in the sun for some photos today. Need one for my Monday post on facebkok

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Thanks, I kind of like his tail too. I am not sure why, I think it is too high for people that know chickens. King George is beautiful, and his girls are such sweeties. It is hard to believe he can be such a mule headed Horse behind.

I found Creamette eggs. The girls stole a nest. It was behind the human door when I go into the coop. I never thought to look behind it. There were 5 eggs in the nest and one in the tunnel to the cafeteria. 3 were broken. There was one in the nest boxes. I wonder if I should have said girl instead of girls.

I had a Christmas tree cutting adventure! I went to the pasture to find a tree, I had 2 dogs, 20 turkeys and 12 guineas with me. The Guineas stopped at the shed. The turkeys spent a few minutes looking at trees then went back to eat semi-fermented frozen crab apples.

When I found 3 trees to pick between, I sent Coffee a text with the three trees to pick between. Why Coffee you ask? Because I goofed up. Judy was in the house and wanted a picture of the trees before I cut one. She did not want to walk to the pasture. I send it to a text I had, thinking it was Judy's, forgetting I had gotten a text from Coffee last night. So if you want to see my Charlie Brown tree ask her for the pictures.

When I drug the tree to the house the turkeys came running to help me drag it the last 100 yards.

Next year, I promise I will shear the trees to make them look better and fuller.

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Lol. I just love the picture in my head with all those birds following you out to the pasture to look for the duluthralphie Christmas tree.

Storybook in the making.

All your roosters are gorgeous. That Ed.... I wish Tootsie was picture worthy right now. But with a wet scabby back and anemic I won't be taking any photos of him. He and the girls seen in good spirits today and his back looked a tidge better actually. Gave Sylvia hr drops. So that's done.

House smells good. Got some beef short ribs in the crock pot with Lipton beefy onion soup packet. Always turns out nummy.

Vikes beating the Bears. It's nice Sunday with the family.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by