Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Crowing

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    that is the best way! DW and I both sell at work, plus my MIL and DWs aunt takes orders from their coworkers. We have never had a 'too many egg' issue :) We started selling in July and have sold almost 300 dozen eggs since!

2 people like this.

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Songster

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Wow! good for you guys!!! I didn't realize how popular 'farm fresh' eggs were. I didn't want to get into the whole selling thing but my BIL said he was already selling his at work and had people asking all the time. His production is down so they didn't have extra. Word got to him I have more than I need so he offered to take them in. Why not, right? :)

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Crowing Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Nice pics, beautiful flock. Whats up with the bald headed one in the back near the right? Molting that bad? Burrr!

4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Crowing

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yeah the poor girl is nearly naked save her pin feathers. She started dropping feathers like crazy a week or two ago. Late and fast molt. She seems to be doing ok. Huddles in with the other hens on the roost.

5. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Crowing

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Almost all of my older BA hens are molting. I am looking forward to seeing them in full splendor after. We bought them this spring from a guy near Mankato. He had them in a lean to coop with no windows and no ventilation. They were dropping feathers from the heat stress and were being worked over by too many roosters as well. They have been looking pretty beat up since then but we were happy to being them home and give them a better living environment.

6. lvie

lvie Songster

Merry Christmas to each of you. I have been running my tush down (I Wish) with end-of-the-year business books, Christmas Merry, and hibernating (not so much of this). Hope each of you are doing well. I am not going to read all the posts between then and now - too much time and still too busy. But I have missed reading about you. Gonna go clean the coop and gather a few eggs (four a day consistently now.) Missed you!

7. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Crowing

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    So I just posted our meet a chicken post of Facebook and attached the photos. Facebook asks me to 'tag friends in this photo?' And highlights the chickens face haha

The facial recognition works in chickens too :)

1 person likes this.

8. Cluckies

Cluckies Crowing Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well thank you for giving those girls a wonderful home. I really don't know why people get chickens, dogs, etc. and then treat them poorly, it is heart breaking.

Hi I've, good too hear from you! Wow, I've not had even 1 egg for at least 6 weeks, I'd have to check my book for the exact date... But it has been along time!

hahaha, you should tag one, then post another photo of her and see if it suggests her name, lolol too funny!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

You sound like the perfect candidate to adopt a breeding Trio of CLB"s ( creamettes).

They would fit right in to your flock.

1 person likes this.
  10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am not sure if I should mention this here either. But I consider you all my friends and I would tell my friends.

My Grandkids (Son's kids) other Grandpa ( I hope that explains who he is ) Had a severe stroke last night. The Dr's said the next 48 hours are critical. They put him in an induced coma for next 30 days. Because of where the stroke was in the brain they do not know if he will be able to ever communicate again. The chances of speaking are slim to none.

They gave him a 20% chance of surviving this. We are all trying to wrap our heads around this. A real Christmas bummer. While he is not related to me, we are like he said at my Dad's funeral " all family now". My Dad died 2 weeks after his Daughter married my Son 8 years ago.

I am not sure what to even ask for in prayers, but they would be appreciated. He is only 62.

Sorry for the morning downer. I will do my best to not mention this again.

I am thinking it is a good day to go outside and find something to keep me busy, after a barrel of coffee.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by