Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey - I went to Cabala's with my DH on Saturday. I took a book to read thankfully. I read for 2 1/2 hours while HE shopped and that was after I shopped with him for a while. So MEN shop too! LOL. But I got a good Mexican dinner out of it. Savored every bite!

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I have been reading up on incubating and hatching with my new 'bator
    I have resolved that I am going to try to get some quail eggs from the quail farm up the road and start with that. Should be a good practice, plus then I have quail :)

We met the guy at the farmers market this summer and he was eyeing our eggs saying how he would love to crack only 2 eggs instead of 10 for breakfast:) I bet I could swap him chicken eggs for quail hatching eggs

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I Was STRETCHING the truth there a tad..I was thinking of getting her a sweater like that,, I, in fact, have nothing for her yet, I will never buy real clothing, it would be wrong, Just like I would never buy anything for the house, it would be wrong...

I did think about a way too small something to wear, but I thought that would be wrong too.

I learned long ago, kitchen appliances and gadgets, which I love, is wrong..

A new vacuum is wrong, I learned that a few years ago.

I have no idea what to get her. BTW Flowers are always a waste of money they simply wilt and dry up and need to be thrown out.

I bought her a new rod and reel one year...That was wrong...

What am I to do?

1 person likes this.
  4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

A few things I learned. Get a remote thermometer and those things that read moisture, the name slips me.... Put that in the incubator and put the readout somewhere you see it all the time.

I also have 2 of the thermometers, digital with wired probes in each one. It lets me know the temps are close. Next put the incubator somewhere the temps and humidity are relatively stable.
    Take the turner out about 2-3 days before they are to hatch and lay the eggs on the wire bottom, do not turn again.

Do not chase the humidity, anywhere between 20-35 works for me until the last 3 days when I start raising it to 40-45 when they start to hatch it will increase to 60-70. Keep it there until hatching done.

Good luck have fun.. BTW what works for me may not work for you.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Does Judy have a hobby? Supplies for her hobby?

I understand your predicament. LOL.

A nice scarf or winter coat.

I have a thing for winter coats.

I do not mind kitchen gadgets or appliances.
    Finding a place to store them is another thing.

I don't know...I wish I knew Judy better....right now. LOL.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I could get her and her mother matching new rides, a couple brooms would not break the bank either.......[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

I was reading a thread that recommended not adding water until lockdown and let the humidity do its own thing. Thoughts?
    My basement is constantly in the 40% range in the winter, which is where I was thinking to put it

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

That should work great. The 40% in your basement when warmed in the incubator should get you right at the 25-30 range.

I find I do better in my basement than I do upstairs.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am truly stupid!

I decided I would let my rooster free range today. These are extra roosters that will most likely end up as stew or smoked. They live with the evil guinea hen that is on Death row. I have her with the roosters hoping against hope to get a chicken Guinea hybrid.

I knew I could not let my layers out, so they are upset with me along with the dozen Guineas that live in that coop.

I figured what harm could be done letting the turkeys out.

WOW, am I dumb. Gang wars! The turkeys were just killing the poor roosters. I had to break them up. It was terrible, I had to actually kick/push at them with my feet and legs to get it to stop. I finally got them all separated and uses treats to get most of the turkeys back in the pen. I have Ginger another tom and 3 hens still out. At least the odds are more even now. It was 20 on 5 now it is 5 on 4 or 5 if you count the Creamer.

After I had that mess taken care of, I decided in my drug and alcohol free brain, Let Bert and his girls out, what harm can that cause..... Do you know what 6 roosters that have been locked up staring at hens running around them all day long have on their pea sized brains??

Well, I made the error and let them out, Dumb dumb dumb...... When the roosters tried to do what they had on their minds I had to break them up. I do not think any actually completed the act, I hope my toads are insemination free. I got Bert and the girls back in there run. Luckily Bert Jr and his girls are very compliant and almost lappers. They are at least tolerants that like being played with.

I wonder what more I can screw up today...

BTW I am going to Menards to see if I can find my wife a nice Christmas present there. Besides I need a couple tubes/bags of that gravel for the pick up boxes for grit. It is cheaper and works as well for me as buying grit in a feed store and a lot cheaper.

Here is a picture of the extra roos enjoying being free..

[​IMG]

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ralphie, so sorry about your Grandkids other Grandpa, Prayers sent, that is way to young, i'm assuming not even retired? Terrible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by