Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    More proof Penguin is a Belly Button.

I took "treats" out for the turkeys, it is a little early but we are going shopping.

The chickens saw me grab the treats so they decided to follow too. Meaning I had to chase the chickens out of the turkey pen, while keeping the turkeys in. A big PITA!

Vlad a little red chicken refused to leave, I had to lure her out. After about 5 minutes of confusion I had them where they belonged and locked the gate. I turned around, and there was Penguin in the chicken pen! I decided to just go carry him to the turkey pen. Penguin as a typical belly button does not like to be caught.

I tried to chase him into a corner and wrap my arms around him. He did not go along with this plan. He would fight, fly an run to another corner. He was squawking like he was hurt. He wasn't. Blackie the rooster that Penguin is always picking on and chasing heard Penguin crying and saw me chasing penguin.

Blackie decided this was his chance to get a few licks on Penguin. So now I have a turkey that doesn't want to be caught, fighting me, a rooster that wants to gore the crap out of Penguin fighting in the corner. I finally got Penguin held to the ground and picked Penguin up.

This was not good enough for Blackie, like a kid that has been bullied too long he was going to get a few more good hits in. I am trying to lift and carry Penguin, Blackie is jumping and flying at him. I carried Penguin out of the chicken pen, Blackie right along side me, puffing his chest like he has done a marvelous feat of strength and bravery.

It was a mess. BUT I got Penguin thrown into the right pen, Blackie went home with a little more bounce in his step, I was beat and needed a drink...

2. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I really like the nice compliments about Ed and King George, But I have to tell you, they should go to EJB and Aussiegal, they raised them I just have them living here now.

That same applies to Ole's son. EJB found Ole and raised Ole, I only had him long enough to breed a few of my hens, (like every hen 20 times day, compulsive little sex addict he was.)

I wonder if we can blame that on EJB??? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    They are beautiful!
    Hahaha, what a show it must have been!

4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this week's Facebook post in which I personally learned a ton about Australops! Did you know a BA holds the egg laying record with 364 eggs in a 365 day trial period? and that was quite a while ago with no supplemental winter light! not sure where that was in terms of day lengths, but wow!

Happy holidays from the flock at Whistling Dixie Farms! It is our pleasure to introduce Glenna May for this week's #MeetAChickenMonday! Glena May is a Black Australorp hen. Black Australorps sport deep black feathers that have a unique blue/green sheen in the light. Australorps originate from Australia in the early 1900s and are considered the honorary 'National Chicken Breed of Australia'. We enjoy having Glenna May and her Australorp brood mates on the farm because they are cute, friendly, and get along with their fellow flock mates. Glenna May lays the light tan eggs you find in your cartons of Whistling Dixie eggs. We hope you have enjoyed meeting Glenna May and seeing these fun pictures of her all fluffed up with her winter feathers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Love all the pics!!!!!!!!

6. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
  7. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Those are terrible looking birds and that guy should not be allowed to raise them in that cage like that! I am huge anti-government interference but, way too many skinny filthy birds in that cage! The word Belly Button comes to mind.

9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Those are pretty!

Yuk! those aren't good looking birds! I wish i had a photo of my WLR cornish for you to see what they SHOULD look like. I got mine
    from Minnie

1 person likes this.
  10. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    With the weather so cold Friday and Saturday my water source for the cattle stock tank froze. Nothing like filling 5 gallon pails in the bathtub and hauling them out like a thousand times. Today the line is fixed, WHEW! While I don't mind hauling buckets I REALLY did not want to spend the rest of the winter doing it. I am not a youngin like I used to be.

I managed to find a way to alleviate my problem of abundant eggs. My BIL brings them to work with him and sells them to his coworkers. So far I have off loaded 22 dozen with the future looking bright.

No calves yet. But I am so excited for them to come!!! [​IMG]

Bogtown-sorry to hear your lovelies are dealing with mites!! Hope things turn around soon! How do you rid the coop of them?

So many things I have started for my spring to do list. The chickens run is one of them. I will make it bigger with sections instead of one huge one. It is tore up beyond belief. Not sure it can recover. Maybe I can let the chickens range with the cattle this summer. I like the idea but I want my eggs in the coop not spread all over the pasture!
    Have a good day all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by