Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I could fix you up with a half a dozen spares just in case your washer goes down....

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes, I am hoping that this will more or less 'trim his wattles back' to a more winter hardy size. I hate for it to happen, but i think it will prepare him better for the future.

3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Ralphies, i forgot to tell you the bad news. THe dump truck didnt work out.

First time i wnet to see it the guy bailed on me and i drove 50 miles for nothing. Then when i went to see it again it started hard, had a light engine knock and the dump bed didnt have a lift! it was just chained on!!

What a waste of my time! at least DW has already been convinced so i can keep looking for a better farm truck :)

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Those of mine that have had winter pruning do well the next year.

I am thinking EJB is really onto something with his combless roosters. Ed comes without a real comb, and he has never had a problem. I really feel bad about the young Creamers comb, he was so good looking I had thought about showing him, even though I have no idea how to show. I still have one that I might be able to show, or I will have to wait for these guys to mature:

They are very young right now..

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    That stinks!

I have been thinking about buying a dump box that fits inside the box of my pick up.

I have a one ton ford and for what I want it would work fine and I would not have to insure or license another vehicle.

One of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pickup-Truc...ash=item1c5e4ab4a3:g:RdMAAOSwSHZWb-W3&vxp=mtr

6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    The worst was that I talked to him on the phone and he said 'runs great, ready to put right into service'. What a cad!

I've seen those and I agree that would be a good option. I've been looking for a 3/4 ton or better and have a few leads. With this warm winter there are tons of plow trucks out there with little demand.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  7. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Morning peeps, went out earlier to clean the coop and check on the girls, they are doing well. Cluck-cluck and Morticia spent extra time talking to me, they haven't done that in awhile. I think there maybe some scrapes going on, several of the girls have pecking marks (dried blood) on their combs. hope it doesn't get too rough out there. also, cluck-cluck did the mexican hat dance around morticia, so funny. I need to try and get that on video now, she does it infrequently though, stomps her feet while walking around the other chicken, hilarious.

8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ralphie are your machines front loaders or top loaders? You never know....

Look at all those diamond encrusted eggs! I smell money....

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Cluckies, Good Morning!

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh 5 degrees in the coop. So there's about a 10 degree difference. I did turn on the flat panel just to see what it does in there with that. It's -20 windchill. Little nippy skipping out to the coop and back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by