Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Kloppers are you looking at 9 weeks with the purchased CX's?

What protein level do you shoot for?

I really have no way to handle bulk feed, but it would be nice too. what is cost difference?

Will you free range them at all?

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Klop you have dates all set up!? I really should start thinking about what my goals for the CX would be and get timelines figured too. Shoot you are such a go getter. helps the rest of us get motivated! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralph-would you bring Judy with to the cabin or is it just you and the mrs sasquatch ringing in the new year? A cozy cabin with a fire and a book does sound mighty nice.

1 person likes this.
  4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

I was shooting for 10 weeks which is what I did this year and had 10+ lb monsters which have been great. They are tractored and fed a controlled ration. Last year I fed fleet farm brand broiler feed at 20% protein. That runs almost 15 bucks a bag though. I don't remember what protein level the bulk feed was but it was closer to 11.50 a bag when divided down. 17 or 18% is what comes to mind.
    The Kent mix has different recipes for what protein you want. Basically you adjust the soy amount or add other high protein grains or oils I think.

5. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Bogtown-sounds like you have a really good helper on the washer! Hope things get figured out for you without having to get a new one. Is your pump on a warranty yet? I bought a new washer when mine died and did buy the warranty since the reviews I read said the pump dies at about a year. So far one year and one month later it still works just waiting now.
    Hope your mite problem gets wrapped up soon. Never fun dealing with that kind of stuff. Always a learning process for sure!

6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men... And chickens....

7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I should add that the bulk feed comes in feed sacks still, so it is easy to handle in that regard

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

No I am ruining the mood by bringing the Mrs with...

Interesting, I use Marties ( a local feed store here) I think they have 3 stores. If I recall correctly I pay 12.35 a bag for mine.
    I find with free ranging they pick up a lot of protein, also the exercise does them good. I use a mix of 15 and 18%.

A pound a week is a good average! I will be buying some earlier this year, but if I get enough eggs from Bert Jr and his girls, I may skip purchasing chicks at all. *Big if as it all depends on Bert living)

9. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    We have a local feed store that sells their own broiler mix but I tried it and didn't like it. It had a huge disparity in piece size. Nearly full corn kernels all the way down to powdered sugar like fines. The birds ate the big chunks and ignored the fines. It was also only 16%

I'm glad you made me think of it though. They sell a few other brands of broiler feed and I should ask them about a bulk discount. Work asking at least.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I have found with the "fines" that the birds will not eat just add some water and make a mush and they love it. I always think the fines is all the good stuff! lol

I wonder if I could dry the mush and make little chunks too.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by