Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Rhetts, I think you are talking a couple weeks if you just noticed it now. BUT without seeing it is just a guess.

Kloppers I so LIED to you about the feed prices here. I was in Elk River so I picked up a few bags of layer mash.

Then I wrote the prices down so I could be truthful

16% layer 10.20

15% broiler 9.80
    18% broiler 10.35
    22% broiler 11.15

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Wow! My feed prices are a dollar or more higher per bag!

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I know they are a lot cheaper than Runnings, Fleetfarm and Tractor supply, The store in Elk river the people are not overly friendly (borderline anti-social) Whereas in Monticello they are overly friendly, I go there most the time. I have never been to the one in St Francis.

You would think yours would be cheaper as you are right down there in corn and grain country.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  5. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

I am comparing to fleet farm prices, not a local mill so that probably is the difference. There is another middle man trying to get paid.

My feed is like:
    16% Layer Mash - $11.49
    21% Meat Maker - $13.99
    18% All flock - $12.99

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    BC send your DH or DS out to drill a hole in the ice on the lake and let me know A) if they fall in,, B) how much ice there is..

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  7. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    HA HA HA that is funny! but totally selfish of you! :)

8. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Our layer is 15% non gmo, soy free $15 a bag regular priced but $12 I think in bulk price. 50# bags

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Kloppers I did a House warming gift with a post card description of the 3 hens that laid the 3 different eggs that were in the carton. Just gave breed, age, personality descriptions. Much like the MeetAHenMonday you are doing. But yes...those customers do love that.

I have a neat article on trace nutrient study findings on eating eggs that are pasture raised versus caged or warehoused birds. I'll find that for you. People are all about where their food is coming from because...alot about the quality of the food, as you know, as well as the humane reasons.

Ralphie I asked DH this past weekend about ice thickness and it is about 6-8 inches on our lake. The lake that I work on just froze completely this weekend. But one shore probably has probably the 6-8. It's really sketchy here and there and all over the place for where and what is safe. Always a good idea to walk out with a spud first I think.
    Especially this year.

Rhetts, exciting stuff coming your way soon it sounds like with the Calf. Hopefully everything will all go your way and it will be delivered easy and well. One of the few calves I saw born we had to pull. When I lived out west. I was at my roommates Ranch and it was quite a large calf and Momma was having trouble with him. But all ended well. Exciting stuff!

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I was kind of hoping to just jump on the 4 wheeler pull a house out and fish... Maybe you could have them go spud the lake for me...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by