Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Been incredibly busy at work - I hope everyone had a nice Christmas!

So....I found a squirrel hanging out in the run. This means there's a flaw in the build. I must re-strategize.

On another note, a few days ago, I had the run door open for the chickens to go out. They didn't even set a toe out since that white stuff is scaaaaaaary. I was looking out the deck door and watched a hawk swoop towards the run, then hover over the roof and perch on a nearby tree. My guess is it was watching the chickens and realized there was no exit for it to grab a chicken and take off. I'm no hawk expert, but it seemed like a good theory. Long story short, I'm glad they're afraid of snow.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
  4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    My grandkids other Grandpa could use one more set of prayers. He took a turn for the worse last night. My DIL signed a DNR, having a DNR on a 62 year old seems so unreal. She is having a hard time too. The kids got a huge reality check last night.

The doctors told him he is the best he will ever be, They said he is most likely blind in one eye and can only see out of the right half of the other eye. He will only be able to raise his arms a little and will not be able to communicate other than raising an hand a few inches. He has breathing tubes, ventilators, feeding tubes, and other tubes. They said he will need 24 hour a day until he leaves this earth.

This is a problem with science when we can keep a body alive without keeping the person alive. Barring a miracle, which they were told will not happen in his case, that is his future. No one knows if he or what he is thinking or even if he is.

To make matters worse she ( my DIL) has a step grandfather that was just told he only has days left and her grandfather that has elected to call a priest and forgo another surgery that could prolong his life.

Seems like a lot to put on a 32 year old girl.

Sad times ahead.

The only good thing is she is not as mad at my son for buying an old jeep off ebay as she was a few days ago, (He is like his Dad and thought asking forgiveness was better than asking permission..)

We do not know what we are going to do. We were leaving for Togo this morning. We may not now. The kids want us to go, they said there is nothing we can do here. We are not even allowed in to see him. I doubt he would want us to see him like he is anyways. We are helpless, I do not do helplessness well.

We are waiting until later to decide if we go. Sorry to be a downer to everyone's holiday.

Bird wise, they are not getting out today. I a going to refill feeders and waterers and tell them this morning they are stuck in pens until Saturday. (if we leave)

Coffee, when we get back you and your boy toy will have to stop in and see the roosters. Maybe I will make a new pen and label it Coffee's Poop and put your birds in it. I know I have to do the 6 turkey gang members soon, I am again not looking forward to it. Bert Jr cannot wait until they are gone. I think he is carrying a grudge.

On a bright note, our house in Florida has sold, we should be getting the check in the mail today from the title company. That will help the cash flow around here. It would be nice to see a positive cash flow again instead of a negative one.

My incubator is bouncing back and forth between 99 and 100 on one thermometer and showing 99.3 on the other, so I think it is about ready for eggs. Have any of you ever tried hatching a pullet egg? How long should a pullet be laying before you try and hatch her eggs?

Couple of my eggs look a little small, but Creamettes do not lay large eggs anyways. ( do not believe the hype on the CL threads, unless of course you want some of my chicks).The eggs I have to hatch range from 1.45 ounces to 1.85 ounces with one at 2. ounces. Most are the 1.60 to 1.65 size.

I have not candled them yet. I think the 2 ounce might be a double yolk, (kind of small for that but way larger than normal creamette egg)

What's everyone's New Years Eve and New Years day plans?

I need posts for my coffee, otherwise I would be forced to get off my butt and get busy.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Welcome Back MinnesotaNice!!

Ivie I am so glad you are back, Could you get in touch with the dealership you ordered my new Diesel Truck from. I have not gotten it yet and it was not under the tree on Xmas...

I am so glad to hear your Hubby bought us a new Ice Castle, I am sure him and I will have lots of good times in it. I would suggest he leave it here at my place as you are way too close to the city of Big Lake and those hoodlums there could damage it or steal it. It would be far safer under my watch.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Morning Ralph.

Prayers sent your way for other Grandpa. Yes sometimes the science is WAY too amazing.

My dad had a portion of his kidney removed about 7 years ago for cancer. Then he had radiation for prostate cancer 2 years ago. I can see a look in his eyes right now... That if anything more pops up--more serious... He's chosing not to fight it. And honestly I can't blame him. And I support his decisions. As tough as they may be.

I'm tired this morning. I did a shopping trip to Brainerd with two teenagers last night and they just wear me out. I like doing those runs on my own but we had exchanges to make and waiting on other people to shop and make decisions gives me headaches. Pulling in back at the house at 10:30 also not fun.

Did a headlamp roost check on the Big Tootsie Roger and he did not seem to have 1 speck crawling!!!! YES. I cannot tell you what a relieving feeling that is. Given his case though ... I will be rechecking him. Weekly for a while.

We are going over to a friends house for New Years. There will be 5 families there. Parents- kids. Men and kids play bean bags in a heated garage and us women sit around and cluck. We usually play a game too. We have this Telestrations After Dark to play. Should be fun. Last year it was Cards Against Humanity. That was pretty hilarious too. Funny how board games don't need to be politically correct these days. Hmmmm. Sorta fun.

Well happy new year everybody! May 2016 be prosperous to you in chickening and in every way!

7. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Sad news about the other grandpa, another prayer will go out to them. I agree that you and Judy should go to Togo.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I love that game, I can never find people to play it with,,,,

Come on up to Togo!

1 person likes this.
  9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    WOw what a rollercoaster of emotion in this post! SO sorry for your DS and DIL. That is a lot to handle.

Congrats on the house sale though! That should be a nice sized check to bolster your bank accounts with. We are preparing to sell our rental property in the next couple months so hopefully we have luck with that. It needs to sell so that we can get moving on our new home building.

as far as hatching a pullet egg, I of course have no direct experience but knowing that the yolk is smaller and of course the smaller shell could cause a higher mortality rate for the chick due to less 'food' and space to grow properly. That said, i dont see why you wouldn't set it anyways. can't hurt anything.

I am off work today and slept in this morning which was nice. I just whipped up a double batch of cinnamon roll dough. ONe for us and a half pan for each of our neighbors. WHile it is rising I should probably get out and start getting my to do list done. I am mucking out both coops today. One is easy, the other is going to be work as it is 6 months worth of deep litter. Fortunately I can drive the loader right up to the door. I just suspect it is going to be many loaders full.

It is currently 4 degrees (feels like -13) so i am less inclined to go for it. If I wait until noon, the temps will have tripled to a balmy 12!

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I tell you what Kloppers. That cleaning out of coop business is a biggy for me. And I will design a coop (next time) that has a "push out" feature. All litter can be pushed out into a wheel barrow or whatever. Mine is such a PITA to clean out. One thing also I've done is instead of bandana over the nose and mouth I do the regular filtering masks. What a difference that has made for me...and I should have done it sooner. As I'm typing I'm thinking I should try to do something about it with the current coop. I should have this fall done some nest box changes...but I didn't get to it. Will maybe do that first. But the "pushout almost seems easier to tackle. Will weigh out priorities.

Ralph...I forgot to mention congrats on house sale to you. A shot in the arm for sure.

I would love to come to Togo...you can show me bigfoot prints and bullhead fishing spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by