Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Today's Wednesday Meet a Turkey star is Ginger!!!

[​IMG]

Ginger is one of 20 turkeys. He has a girls name because my wife named him. She was not sure if he was a boy or girl when she named him. She was hoping for girl. His bellybutton behaviors where evident early on and she was informed he was going to freezer camp and the smoker unless he ended up being a girl.

I won, He is in his last week here at Judy's Chicken Ranch. He likes to chase chickens, beat on harmless mellow roosters. He is blind, and we think it is contagious. He will run by the door to his pen 40-50 times before going in. All the rest of the turkeys can be lured into the pen with corn, oats and BOSS. Ginger refuses to be lured.

Ginger really has no redeeming qualities. He was the only red bird to survive to adulthood. He is a DD, this is double dominant slate, there is some old research on a turkey with DD having a greater chance of eye problems than others. If you look you will see he has smaller than normal eyes. So he may actually have poor eye sight. You would think if he did he would use a white cane and sun glasses.

Kloppers your idea was so good I stole it, How did I do?

2 people like this.
  2. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Well HELLO to each of you. Been up in Aitkin for the holiday. I AM SO GLAD TO BE HOME!!!!! There are five dogs when we go up there. The guys are in and out all the time and then MY dogs bark. IF they just say hello the barking stops immediately. Still . . . . . Then there are two - two year old labs - both females - both like to wrestle. My DIL and DS do not like them wreslting together (who else are they going to play with? LOL) Their two girls are their babies as they will never have children. Oh Well, I am home now. A day earlier than planned. My DH has to build on our property before I am going for a weekend with dogs again. The END!ou

Snow isn't too bad. I did get on a i-pad and caught up with a little of what you all were doing. LOL. Oh! And I did freeze the ice in the bucket and add a candle. EVERYONE loved it! Now that I am home I am going to do more for this place. So very festive - SO THANK YOU for that idea! Now I am going to mix their treat that was posted and smell the house up with that.

Drove into Milaca This past weekend and picked up my DS new toy - toy-hauler, ice-castle with six holes and sleeps four very comfortably. Pretty nice. Fun! He wants to use it for hunting in the fall also. My DH and DS went ice fishing Saturday night on about 3 1/2 inches of ice. Not with the ice castle. Scary for the wives (not too much though)

I hope to have time tomorrow to follow along - it only took me an hour to catch up tonight.

2 people like this.
  3. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    tired tonight.

I should kick the girls out tomorrow and do a major coop clean.

I need some advice. I have a polish hen who is the very bottom of the pecking order. She is constantly harassed. I had gotten more polish hens to hopefully help take the pressure off but that hasn't worked. I have been dealing with this since August. She has been bloodied more than I can count. Head and tail feathers gone completely. We found her day after day sitting out in the run all by herself no matter the weather. We finally put her in a small stall of the chicken coop. I didn't want her alone since I do not heat the coop so we put our very nice and gentle Cochin roo in there with her. He doesn't peck her maybe tried to mate her but honestly they avoid each other all the time. They have been together probably a week now. I really do not know what to do with her. I do not want to build a small coop for just her but I can't leave her where they are permanently either. Is there any way I can get her back in the main flock and move her up in ranks? Or do I succumb to hen pecking defeat and make her a small coop where she can live peaceably? Poor thing! DD wants to put a diaper on her and bring her in the house.

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hi Ivie, welcome back!

Rhetts, that is so sad. is there even one other hen that won't pick on her? why can't she stay with the roo and maybe one other hen? then just let her out to free range with the others come summer. poor thing. I'd build another coop I think, and get her a friend after she heals. chickens like to be with other chickens. so sad.

5. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    the small area she is in now has no outside access. Right now my bachelors free range and the main coop has a run. DH and I have talked off and on about building her own coop. I could pick out some of the nicer bottom ranking EEs to put with her but it wouldn't be built until this spring/summer. I suppose it is the best for her. I really hate seeing the stress she is in. Thanks Cluckies. You reaffirmed what we were thinking. Just needed to hear it from the chicken folk I suppose. :)

6. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    chicken coop all it needs is some hardware cloth, plastic for the windows...and some ventilation up high, as I don't see any ;), oh, and a run. might be others on craigs list as well that would do in a pinch?

found another one @Rhetts chicken coop, this one is in elk river

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  7. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    the redder one it is... OMG Ralphie you are going to have to build a holding area for everything I'm getting from you..LOL... the cow,Porter and his 3 girls.rooster and i haven't even moved in yet.. good thing i only have to pick the meat up when the cows ready or u might need another barn.. HEY you can tell Judy you need another pen to hold my stuff in and use me for an excuse...LOL

8. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    ohh Poor Ginger...but im sure he is yummy...

9. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ginger is lovely...

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Does that mean you want me to drop him off at your place?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by