Surviving Minnesota!

Ralphie, it would have been better perhaps if you had said that Judy would test the ice first due to the fact that she is only half as heavy as you ?
There has been much less snow up in the Togo area than around Duluth, so that will be of benefit in ice formation. If your lake is spring fed, there may be thin spots yet?

I will put a dog collar on Judy so I can pull her out if she goes through the ice. That should sound better to those that think I sounded terrible.

This does remind me of when I started a job many years ago, the guys were talking about what their nickname for their wives were. I told them I called Judy "hogger".

I kept this up for about a year until we went to a co-workers wedding and they saw she was a 120 pounds (back then).

BTW she was not all that happy with the nickname "hogger".

Last edited:

Ralphie, it would have been better perhaps if you had said that Judy would test the ice first due to the fact that she is only half as heavy as you ?
There has been much less snow up in the Togo area than around Duluth, so that will be of benefit in ice formation.  If your lake is spring fed, there may be thin spots yet?

I will put a dog collar  on  Judy  so I can pull her out if she goes through the ice.    That should sound better to those that think I sounded terrible.  

This does remind me of when I started a job many years ago, the guys were talking about what their nickname for their wives were.  I told them I called Judy "hogger".

I kept this up for about a year until we went to a co-workers wedding and they saw she was a 120 pounds (back then).

BTW she was not all that happy with the nickname "hogger".

I can't imagine why she wouldn't love that nickname...
Nice out today girls still did not want to come out of the run though... Hmmm strange.

I can't imagine why she wouldn't love that nickname...
Nice out today girls still did not want to come out of the run though... Hmmm strange.

I intend to make some walking paths in the snow for my girls in hopes they will go outside this weekend they need some movement!
Plus they will need to get out of the way while I muck out the coop

Fantastic chicken morning. After feeding and watering and cleaning poop. I sat on a tree stump in the chicken run and was watching my girls for a while. And Noname (that's her name) lol was screaming at me the whole time I thought she was having an attitude with me. She kept getting closer and closer and she never does that and then she laid down in front of me so I reached out to pet her and she stuck her butt up in the air like a cat in heat. For one I couldn't believe it she was letting me pet her and The whole time still screaming at me. I stopped petting her and then she jumped up on my lap it was so cool. So I started petting her again and again her butt went right up in the air. I've heard about chickens laying down for people before I've just never seen it. Does this mean she's getting ready to lay eggs? I was so disappointed I didn't have my phone on me so I couldn't take a picture.– She was screaming at me sitting on my lap getting petted the other five chickens just all stood there and stared at us like they were in total disbelief what was happening... :) funny how you can keep falling in love with your chickens.

Mine come out fine today, yesterday they came out of the coop and went all the way to the deck, which they hid under all day.

Yesterday I threw some "food scraps" off the deck for them, The hens came running out from under the deck. Ed was the last chicken out from under the deck, But in true Ed fashion he decided he had found the food and started walking around and telling the girls what he found for them. I have no idea why he does not starve to death he never eats just makes sure the girls do.

Fantastic chicken morning. After feeding and watering and cleaning poop. I sat on a tree stump in the chicken run and was watching my girls for a while. And Noname (that's her name) lol was screaming at me the whole time I thought she was having an attitude with me. She kept getting closer and closer and she never does that and then she laid down in front of me so I reached out to pet her and she stuck her butt up in the air like a cat in heat. For one I couldn't believe it she was letting me pet her and The whole time still screaming at me. I stopped petting her and then she jumped up on my lap it was so cool. So I started petting her again and again her butt went right up in the air. I've heard about chickens laying down for people before I've just never seen it. Does this mean she's getting ready to lay eggs? I was so disappointed I didn't have my phone on me so I couldn't take a picture.– She was screaming at me sitting on my lap getting petted the other five chickens just all stood there and stared at us like they were in total disbelief what was happening...
smile.png
funny how you can keep falling in love with your chickens.

You so need a rooster,,,,and you are so lucky I happen to have an extra rooster for you....

I am still not doing the whole breeding thing but if they happen to have some baby chicks and they happen to survive I will keep them.

Back
Top Bottom