Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, a dog collar to pull her out if she goes through the ice. What a kind gesture, and who said chivalry was dead?

As Cluckies said, I can't imagine why she would be unhappy with that nickname? I do sometimes wonder how that policy on you has not been cashed in? You seem to have a habit of walking near the edge!

2 people like this.
  2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Don't you know it is what is on the inside that counts??

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Good Morning All!

It is a pretty Winter Morning out. There's a little brightness out there. Still kind of cloudy...but I think the clouds are thinner or something.

So I put some Poultry & Garden Dust in a knee high nylon stocking like Cluckies suggested and gave Roger an extra puffing around his tail. His backside is tender...poor Roo. He's got some sores back there and I suppose newly hatched bugs roaming. So I pulled him off the high roost and set him before me on a lower one and puffed his saddle area and the back area. All of a sudden he nibbled on my hand that was holding and balancing him around the front on his breast. I think this was his warning that that was enough.

It took me by surprise and gave me a little giggle...because certainly he has bit me harder (when he was younger or being overly protective of the girls) but I think in his older age he has come to regard me with enough affection and respect as food lady-- to give me just a nibble to say that's enough. Now watch tomorrow he'll spur at me about something. LOL. Bird Brains do amaze me some days though.

Coffee: She sounds like she is just a bit on the randy-side. A girl has needs sometimes. LOL. She sounds pretty cute though. Coming up to you for attention. They are too funny. Glad you are seeing the enjoyment in these creatures. They really can be charming.

Ralphie....... Ralphie, Ralphie.
    Who's with me? Judy is going to get signed up for sainthood. I'll submit the paperwork, testimony, what have you.

4. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    i know nothing about roosters, but would like a nice one and not a snot,, any hints on having a good rooster??? Thanks...

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Just before my Cluck-Cluck laid her first egg (right before, a few minutes before) she was yelling at me, and walking around me and on me. A couple days before I had uncovered the nest boxes and I had a golf ball in the box. well, I showed it to them, but didn't want them to poo in it, so I covered it back up. Sooooo, as she wouldn't settle down, I uncovered the nest boxes and she went right in and laid an egg.
    [​IMG]
    Here she is standing over the egg looking surprised (what the h just happened?). she stood there for a few minutes! lol
    Then I pulled it out and she stared at it, lol
    [​IMG]

Do you have a golf ball or ceramic egg in the nest box so she knows where to go?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I was just being a jokester :)
    A good rooster is probably mostly determined in his genetics. Aka a belly button rooster will sire a belly button son. Or so I have read. For example my rooster Conrad is very gentle and personable so I am thinking his offspring should be the same this spring.

I would take an ugly rooster who was kind to his ladies and a good leader/protector over an eye candy belly button any day of the week.

1 person likes this.
  7. Coffee 1st

Jul 31, 2015
    I have the nest boxes blocked off but i think tomorrow i will unblock them and put golf ball in them. i didnt think they would lay till spring...

8. Coffee 1st

Jul 31, 2015
    BTW i love the pics of your girl and her 1st egg...

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Coffee, these guys are not bad roosters, They are not lappers but I do not try to make my chickens into lappers.

[​IMG]

The redder one is a beauty. He is large, If you are not going to breed the breed does not really matter. BUT They are all gentle as they are Bert Jr's Half brothers. All but the creamer there will make great roosters, Bert Sr, their father was a very gentle rooster. These guy are all gentle by heritage.

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am the worlds greatest husband!! Just ask me.. I am the best one Judy has ever had! BTW she gives me as much poop as I give her..

BUT now you guys have me worried about going into the wilderness with her.......Hmmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by