Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    We talked about putting a sign at the end of our driveway with our phone number but have been hesitant. With the AI stuff this summer we were wary to encourage random people to drive onto our place. Now that it is winter we probably could get away with it. Our road is a paved county road so it gets a decent amount of traffic. We have also discussed dropping flyers into the mailboxes along our road.

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ivie. I can relate. I'll go to town with a smallish list.

We live an hour from Brainerd, an hour from Grand Rapids. Just over an hour from bemidji. So that's driving time that gives us headaches as well. When we make a Brainerd run we call it the Brainerd $500. Because no matter what-- when your down there you blow $500 in gas groceries target/Walmart runs.

[​IMG]

This is Venison Stew.

2-3 lbs of venison steak or trim
    2 tbsp of EVOO
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
    1 can Beefy mushroom soup
    4 carrots
    1 med onion
    3 stems of celery
    4 spuds
    1 cup peas

Sear cubed meat in a hot iron Lodge pot with crushed garlic and EVOO. Season with lawrey's and fresh cracked pepper. As meat browns sprinkle balsamic on. Slice onions potatoes, carrots and celery. Add to browned meat. Add one can of Campbell's beefy mushroom soup and one can of water. Simmer until carrots are tender. Add one cup of frozen peas. Ready to eat when the peas are warmed. Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Mmmmm

This is a staple in our house. We go through about 2-3 deer/year. It saves on our red meat bill. Is super lean and healthy meat. And an animal that has lived a clean free life, and had one bad day.

For those not liking the wild taste: the balsamic helps with that flavor. And this is actually better the second day as leftovers.

Enjoy if you try.

Well while this simmers I'm off to tuck in my feathered friends and pat fluffy butts good night.

See you in a bit.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I don't think you'll need the phone number. Our neighbors didn't have thAt. And I wonder if just weekends you could get by. Flyers would be good.

4. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    ok here is the magic recipe:
    1) Bring a pot of water to a boil and add 1/2 Tbsp. of baking soda
    2) Using a slotted spoon gently lower eggs into the boiling water
    3) Boil eggs for 13 minutes
    4) Drain eggs and immediately place them in a bowl of ice water and allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes
    5) Peel eggs and slice in half
    6) In a mixing bowl add the following ingredients and whip:
    - Egg yolks
    - 3 Tbps Mayonaise
    - 1/2 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
    7) Divide yolk mixture between the halved eggs and sprinkle with paprika
    8) Enjoy!!
    Tips:
    -If you like the yolk mixture extra smooth, use an electric mixer to whip.
    -To spice it up a little, consider adding a teaspoon of worchestershire sauce or a few dashes of hot sauce such as Frank's Red Hot

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I was in Runnings today too!!

I got some 300 watt light bulbs (on Sale) an extension cord and ends with three outlets so I can really overload the cord.

Then to Marties for feed. $460 I headed home.

When I went by your house I saw the light was on in your coop.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a sign at the end of my drive, when I have eggs. People just stop in when I have the sign out. I either remove or cover it when I am out of eggs.

That looks about like my deviled eggs recipe, except I just throw this and that in it and I steam the eggs instead of boil.

I will be posting a couple recipes soon:

Braised Wolf Chops

or

Baked Osprey Breasts

Both are good on a cold winters night.

7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    That is how I make mine too but I had to throw some numbers on it to share.

You guys have convinced me that a sign is a good idea. The only thing is that we are gone 7:30 to 5:00 on week days.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Now that my woods hop is almost back in full service I should be able to make a nice router carved sign shaped like a chicken or an egg.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

We have the sign on a little tripod. Then we can take it up or cover it when we are not home. We have people that instead of calling just watch the sign and stop when it is out.

I never thought about Worchester sauce, that's a good Idea. I will try that.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    After adding all those roosts, I checked on the turkeys after I got them into the house and they had settled down.

They were all on 2 roosts. Except for 4 birds. 2 roosting on the edge of the feeder and 2 on another roost. Dumb things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by