Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Klopper on the tree. Good Long Rope and a pick up truck (Or your tractor will work too) That's how you do it by yourself.

We had a red oak widowmaker just off the lawn in the woods about 3 feet. Looked like HE hockey sticks. I was after DH for two years to get it taken care of. It fell down last winter. Still waiting for him to add it to the campfire wood. Sigh. I don't like the chain saw and plus That's man's work.

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    Woodstove is doing its job [​IMG]

PS I figured out how to upload photos from my iPhone using the mobile website instead of the app

1 person likes this.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I was able to upload last night...two photos. I think they worked out some kinks in the app. That's what me thinks.

Mmmm. I love a woodstove. Pretty Cool Kloppers.

4. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I can't complain working out here in jeans and a T-shirt and still breaking a little sweat :)

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I being a " do as I say and not as I do" person would use the chains or long ropes and yank like He double hockey sticks with a truck/tractor etc..

But a smart guy would wait for someone to be there. Crap always goes wrong when alone on those deals.

I have some pictures of the Turkey house. I had to add more roosts today. 32 linear feet was not enough for 20 spoiled turkeys. I now have 56 linear feet of roosts. I had to add a tie latch to the inside of the door. I had figured the little bit I would be in there, they would be outside in the run. I was wrong. They were in the run, until they heard me in the house, then they had to all come in and visit. So I added a tie latch.

They inspected the work some tried the new roosts. Some just watched me. Ethel of course stood next to me and quacked about her problems. She is such an old hen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I said redneck construction. I am hoping the blue tarp on the back and the clear plastic on the front will give me a little solar heating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above 2 I am trying to show the flow through I have for air as to not have too much moisture inside the house.

[​IMG]

Above a turkey watches me closely as I work to make sure it is done to her satisfaction.
    [​IMG]
    This is the pass through entry from the guinea gulag to the turkey house. It is clear plastic over netting on the other side.

[​IMG]
    Inside the turkey house from the Gulag entry.

[​IMG]

Turkeyu eye view back towards the Gulag entry.

[​IMG]

The turkey feeder. The partial barrel on top the feeder is there to keep the turkeys from sitting on the feeder and pooping in the feed.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    and here is a mistake I made. When entering the turkey house from the man door. You enter right into a bombing area.

This is what you see when you look up.

[​IMG]

7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Lol. And they usually save it for when you are under the roost too. I suppose if your going to give spoiled turkeys lots of roosting length you have to make these sorts of manuevers. Lol.

It all looks good Ralphie.

Everybody walked up to the house through the snow to ask me for scratch. So given the cold temps and cute chook faces I obliged.

One frozen silkie egg. Cracked darn it. I didn't check this morning and I should have. She's a morning layer.

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    well I am in from the woodshop. it is soooo much better in there than it was! i decided to reoganize and that means i need to replumb my dust collector, but it will be better in the long run. I need some fittings for the new pipe design, so it will have to be finished tomorrow.

I need to get cleaned up now. between the dust from sweeping the floor and sweating from the heat of the wood stove i am a dirty mess! My stove doesnt have a damper, so there is no way to control the air flow. it just runs full blast all the time. I bought one last year but never put in on. I found it today and put it on the wood stove so i wont lose it again.

After that I am going to make some deviled eggs. We are going to put up a post on our Whistling Dixie page recommending people buy our eggs for thanksgiving to make them and I need some photos. i guess that means i will have to eat them too :) we have a bit of a surplus of eggs right now since the farmers market ended and we are working on rebuilding our customer base. We had lots of regular customers express interest in getting eggs after the market ended but i havent heard from any of them :( i tried getting contact info via an email list but no beans there... that is why we created the facebook page but that has mostly only garnered followers that are our coworkers, friends, and family (many who buy from us regularly) every carton of eggs we have sold since mid september has had our email and facebook address on it, so i guess thats all we can do. back to the point... yummy deviled eggs :)

9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well Kloppers sounds like you have you're own mini sauna out there in the shop. LOL.

Deviled eggs disappear fast in our house. I make a dozen eggs that way about 1/2 hour kitchen prep and *poof* they are gone in about 1/2 minute! LOL.
    Always a hit.

have you put a sign at the end of your road for egg sales. when my laying is down I visit a farmer about 9 miles away from me. And the reason I found them was because of the sign at the end of the road. I wonder if there is another way to get your eggs out there. Do some sales from your trunk at a parking lot? LOL....IDK where else you could sell without a little farmers market. Will a small organic foods shop buy them from you? I suppose you'd need an FDA approved egg cleaner for that, even.

10. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Who would think that errands (3 stops) can take a whole afternoon. Time is evasive. I went to Cub Foods to get their essential corn chips because my DH says they are the best. $133. later - they have sooooo much on sale right now. Then to Runnings - the pine shavings are on sale, picked up some Oyster Shell, talked to JoAnn, bought a heat light bulb and thermometer and then over to Wally Mart to get some items for the DH. Phew! Oh, I got petro first thing so the tank is full.

Thanks for listening to all of that. I am tired. Do I really have to make dinner?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by