Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    i just looked out the window and can see that the wind broke off one of my trees last night! about 2 ft up from the base. its about 18" across.

i guess that just came up on my list of 'to do'.... it is currently leaning against the next tree over.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Careful with that tree. Those are called widow makers for a reason.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes, i will be sure to take care. I will probably hook up all the lengths of chains and straps that i can find and try and dislodge it from as far away as possible. My gut is telling me i should probably wait until somebody else is around when i do it.

A local jewelry store owner died last year when he dropped a branch on himself while working alone. the weather was like this and he basically died of exposure before anyone found him. They said he would have survived the wounds from the branch, but he was pinned and couldnt get out.

4. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    time for a second cup of coffee....

does anyone here use shrink wrap type plastic on their windows during the winter? we did last year and I know it works well, but my dogs usually end up busting through it when a squirrel or rabbit happens to run by. looking for alternatives.....

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Help, or someone to call for help is always better.

I saw a kid that got killed taking on of them down. He was real young. Young and a chainsaw is a bad combo. He tried to cut it down and the butt kicked out and got him under the chin. That was all she wrote for the poor kid.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    On your house or the coop?

7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yikes....

I know better than trying to cut that thing while it is still standing. I.m hoping that using all that chain and straps will get me far away and then i can tug at a side angle to it just enough to get it to slip off the other tree and fall.

My dad is experienced with this kind of thing, so i will probably see if he can stop over this weekend. it appears to be fairly stable and isnt at risk of hitting any buildings so if the wind took care of it for me, that would be ok. It would have a 50/50 of falling across my driveway and blocking it, but that isnt the end of the world.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have one that half of the tree broke off 20 feet in the air and fell getting hung in another tree. Again 20 ft in the air. I just leave it there. I know I should take it down, but I think I need to rent a manlift to do it safely. and I never have help around here to do that.

9. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    On the house. The widows here are good not great. Better than single pane, but definitly let in the cold air. especially the windows in the living room as they dont have storm windows for some reason.

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    lts so cold!! I'd be on more but do you know what its like picking out dress clothes for the Sadie Hawkins dance?? Its horrible!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by