Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Uff dah. I'm more like $50.

Yeah it's not 45. And the coop is a tidge warmer than outside.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have come up with an idea to keep my drinking cups thawed. I am going to use your reflective stuff around the base, Hopefully it will work.

Oh yeah, the best part is the fix includes duct tape!

shawluvsbirds and KlopKlop like this.
  3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Sorry i am late to the show today guys. i slept in a bit then have been out filling water bowls and feeders. Like you guys, i under appreciated how much food the girls were finding for themselves when they free ranged.

In other good news, i have several girls with bare backs (all came from a farm with too many roosters this spring) and several of them are now covered in pin feathers! and here i was worried about them freezing their tails off this winter.

I have to log into work for a few minutes and check in on some things so ive got coffee on and fresh eggs picked this morning in the pan to match up with left over wild rice buns in the toaster. mmmmmmmm

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am procrastinating today and drinking coffee. I have not even let the chickens out yet. I know they are standing at the door waiting on me. They always are. I am betting I have a frozen egg too.

I am going out, Right now~! will be back in 3 minutes.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  5. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    One egg not frozen.

I had a few chickens with bare backs. but they are all getting feathers now.

Blackies head is healing today, it looks terrible, I wish I knew if it was King George that did that to him. I hate to lock King George up for the whole winter, but it could be happening. The English gals are so sweet, I hate to lock them up, but if King George is locked up so are they.

7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Maybe you could parole him. Set up regular check in times, have an emergency counseling number he can call if he feels the urge to beat up Blackie....

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

ROFL>>

I actually have wondered if I could lock him up and give him conjugal visit for the purpose of making baby Sussex's.

9. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Good morning to all. It is colder than he-- out here and the wind is causing a double whammy!
    For any that wish to be informed of the real fact regarding climate change there is a very informative piece written by a man named Mark Morano titled " Climate Depot". It quotes an MIT Meteorology professor and a Greenpeace scientist and others. It is well worth reading IMHO.
    I am about to release the chickens to free range, and they will enjoy it. There is only a trace of snow here, so the birds can still get at the flora to find what they like.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Morning EJB!

I have cold but no wind here. But it is up to 22 degrees already. I just have a very slight trace of snow.

Mine are out scratching though the leafs, I wonder what they find to eat this time of year.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by