Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I really want to, I Would love to, but I am so worried about her self worth and I hate to step on it by doing woman's work,,

Besides how is she going to feel when sitting around shooting the crap with other women when she lets it slip that her Man does woman's work,,,, See another can of worms we best not open.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Rofl.

I forgot about that can!!!

I bet she'd leave that off the table of discussion if you asked her nicely. Lol.

Blah blah blah!

Glad to hear the boys are finding their comfy digs.

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    My husband would love that, his workshop is our third stall in the garage, not heated though... [​IMG]

Looks wonderful!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so happy to hear how others are fairing on their egg inventory. Those with a few are encouraging, as I only get a couple right now and consider myself fortunate. Those with an abundance are exciting because I know I shall have to find takers for my eggs some day. I have already had offers to help me out that way.

Yes, I do put a light on in the run during these cloudy days. MY DH did hard-wire the structure - LOL - love that man. So I strung rope lighting in the front of the coop and then I just replaced the 40 watt bulb with a 125 heater bulb. I decided that little bit of light will not heat up the run drastically, if at all. I mainly aim it where they roost during the day and then put a thermometer on the stud in that area. I would like to somehow keep the run at about 10 to 25 degrees or about. I want them to be winter hardy and I don't think it is necessary that they freeze. I use the brooder heat lamp with the porcelain cup on it. Plus it is hardwired so I don't fear fire too much. Just cautious.

This is getting ridiculous! Its is 1:40 a.m. I feel asleep on the couch watching My Cousin Vinny (one of our favorites) and am moving around now to do the dishes and my computer happened to be on so . . . . . I can see where this can become a social outlet. Its like when Meg Ryan runs to her computer the morning to hear the the 'ping' You've got mail. LOL.

Bragging rights on my flock. That barred roo is really nice! He did try to stab me once and we came to an understanding. He no doubt, true to a roo's nature, will probably try again. But each bird will settle in my arms while I talk to them and stroke them. I do that because I want my own way and I am the providing the feed.
    I am content. Six is the perfect number for that coop and run. I still free-range once-in-a-while.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Good Morning!

I fell asleep watching tv too, but I woke up crawled to bed and slept all night.

I think my thermometer is broken. It is showing 12 degrees right now. I hate to have to buy another, but I suppose I must.

Yesterday was the first time I noticed your coop Ivie. I drive by your place quite often and just never saw it sitting there in plain view out in front of your Camelot tower. (BTW that tower must have driven the building inspector nuts).

I added those submersible heaters to the barrels yesterday and the drinking cups were working.

We will see this morning when I let the girls outside.
    I need coffee!!

Speaking of Coffee, the walking one not the drinking one. She texted me yesterday, She sorta has a new car, if she steals it from her kid. Her loife must be busy I have not seen her online in quite awhile.

BRB< I need coffee The drinking kind.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  6. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Yes it's that cold brrrrr!

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I just went out to see if the turkeys were ok, I only need to run out on the deck and look at them. I nearly froze just doing that.

I might become a house husband today and stay in the house watching soap operas and stuffing bonbons in my mouth..

( That should help BC get her blood pumping today)

Erlibrd is your reading that low too?

I heard on the news there was a winter storm today, I do not see any snow here. Looks like a nice but cold day.. ( or did I dream the storm stuff?)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    8 degrees on my outdoor thermometer, the mercury one. 12 on my phone. Ouch. I think I'll join you Ralphie and be a housewife for once...

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have one of those thermometers that you read remotely. I have the "probe" part in my bird feeder to keep it out of the rain. and it has a little roof on it. It shows 12.5 degrees.

I have a large round ones on the bird feeder pole. it shows 10 degrees, but it lies to me. I never thought to check the IPhone.

I think it is great the snow stayed way south of us. I wonder if Kloppers got hit with snow.

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Bon bons?! Who that is female on this thread has Bon bons in their freezer let alone time to eat them?!

Lol. Just kidding.... Ralphie, I know you wanted dander stirred so there you go.

Well I'll say it's cold out and we still have a crunchy inch out there. But I can feel that it might be warmer. I don't have a reliable thermometer outside other than in the coop. I should get one I guess. I'll get my fruit phone up and see if it has any idea.
    For my best guess it will tell me it's 70 or something.
    Well DH and DS are doing hunting drives today. They both decided to sleep in though and not do any more stand sitting. Sick of seeing nothing.

I might take dd to see the new mocking jay movie part 2.

I love my cousin vinny. Favorite part is when he asked her what he should wear hunting, and her response. Marisa Tomei was perfect in that show.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by