Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    The phone and computer both said 12 the outdoor one always reads 5 degrees colder. The reading in the coop this morning is 32 F, the cozy legs panel has been on but I am still keeping the pop door open so I don't have to go out so early. At 6am we had light fluffy snow and there is ice forming on the lake.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I remember "MY cousin Vinnie" but I do not remember it that well.

BUT speaking of movies, it is the time of the year to get the worlds greatest movie out and running.. "the Christmas Story"

Oil and shine your Red Rider BB guns, get your flag poles cleaned up and ready to get the foolish kids tongue frozen too it. The only thing that movie misses is the electric fence and a city cousin you get to pee on it. I will watch it 3-4 times in the next month, maybe more.

shawluvsbirds and Cluckies like this.
  3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

What part of the state are you in? I have my chickens locked up, my turkeys have an open door, but it only goes to the covered run.

I am going to let the British gals outside, but I am going to keep King George locked up. He is beautiful bird, but has a real attitude.
    I knew this when I got him, Aussiegal warned me he was a serial rapist, and I know being a bully goes hand in hand with that. I just feel it is mean to keep the girls locked up because he cannot behave.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  4. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL. Yes that building created quite a stir. As soon as the second story was rising the building inspector, on his way by the place, swung in and measured the foundation. It would have been an $800 variance (obvious why) and there were three bldg permits to get to build again. County, DNR, and something else. It truly speaks to 'where theres a will - theres a way." People driving by would pull into the driveway to ask about it. Neighbors would ask us when we were out and about. But it works. He wants to do it to the garage also.

It is cold out there. 15 in the run. Turned on the lights. I wonder how warm it will be by mid-morning in the run? I have places to go and things to do so I won't sit in there to watch the temp climb. Like I said; 10 - 25 degrees is what I would like.

Good Morning to all and I am off and about now.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    What are the British birds you got from Aussie? Speckled Sussex?

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I bet, the building inspector pulled in here and nailed me on a "little addition too". Again he was just driving by. I have no idea how he saw it on the far side away from the road. I got a really pretty "red tag" saying STOP on it from him. He actually was a pretty decent guy. I was wondering if by going up like that I could avoid the permit and inspection stuff. I love the looks of it. I was thinking I should make a 2 story chicken coop.

7. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, I have to say the design of your turkey quarters is quite unique and may just do what you intend. Thanksgiving is fast approaching. Do you have your turkey ready, or is that task still in front of you?
    It is always interesting and a God send when the snow goes North or South of us here. That big lake just seems to cause the fronts to stay away from it much of the time, but we do pay a price for that when the wind is from the East.
    I am not fond of venison. The stew looks very good Bogtown, but the only venison I can say I like is tenderloin or chops ( same thing just cut differently).
    It would take a miracle to find a way to prepare Merganser to taste good?
    My hens have quit laying, and I going to do nothing to try to promote it for several months. No artificial light and not heat.
    Cutting and splitting wood will be on the agenda for the next week or two. We have a fireplace in the LR that is never used, but we have a Vermont Castings stove in the FR that is burning most of the day in winter. My wife insists on it as she likes the type of heat it provides, and although I would prefer to turn up the thermostat on the gas furnace I humor her.
    The cutting, splitting, stacking, and bringing into the house is all good exercise, and I do like the fresh air right up to about -10 degrees. After that I feel it is a little too fresh.

2 people like this.
  8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Yeppers, Beautiful birds, The girls are sweet hearts and love to be held, The rooster is a horses rear end.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    EJB< we processed the turkey about 10 days ago and placed him in the freezer. It was starting to have problems walking and seemed to lay around a lot. I did not want to have him die on me and have the meat ruined. So I helped him die.

I love the heat of a wood stove, I would have a wood stove in here, but the house is too small, even though that is all it had for heat when we were kids. And more importantly I do not trust the chimney. It had 2 chimneys we took one down when we remodeled the other we lined for a gas furnace.

Wood heat is so comforting and makes lazes about so much more enjoyable. I have to go to the cabin for that now. In Togo the only heat source we have is wood.

10. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    We are half hour or so north of Brainerd. The hens have access to the run, I don't know if I'll open that today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by