Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ivie, My cousin Vinnie, love that movie.
    But Ralphie, you are early on a Christmas story (I agree with you, greatest Christmas movie) But first we must watch the greatest Thanksgiving movie, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. [​IMG]

BC I think we are going to go see the mocking jay movie sometime this week. I hope anyways...

My henhouse read 25 this morning (remote) the cozy legs flat panel heater does not turn on yet. I have it on a thermocube to come on at 0. I tried to find one that turns on at 15, still looking. I do have a large seedling mat plugged in and hanging on the wall right behind them on the roost, so that warms it up a tad (it is suppose to be 10-15 degrees above ambient) and it read 40 degrees right on top of it (wall mounted thermometer) so it is about right. plus their body heat. as you can see, i'm obsessed with thermometers.

One of our outdoor thermometers (remote) reads 13.2 right now, I forgot to look at that one this morning.

My humidity in their reads 40% in their, so pretty low and i've got bag balm on two chickies. hopefully it works to keep the frostbite away. I feel bad for my Orp and that big floppy comb (not so floppy any more)

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Cool, BC's Neighbor! I did not want to hear it was snowing that direction. the weather up there seems to always get down here.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well Ralphie I think I need a photo of that trio if you can get one, with Geordie being a horses you know what.

Ejb the veni stew had a little wild taste last night I must say. Sometimes it's just the deer. We've had an 11 point buck from Canada that tasted like lean beef. But the loins and chops are delicious. We don't use those for stew though.

Merganser recipe was a joke for certain. DH says that no matter what you do or try they'll still taste like old minnow water.

Well I'm off to do a few things this Saturday. Enjoy the day all!

14 on my new weather app I just down loaded.

4. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    1 silkie egg every other day.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I like "non-gamey" venison. I think it depends on the deer, the age and what it eats. I have had corn fed deer that are great. I got a buck once near Tofte that was so bad it was not edible.

Normally venison hamburger can be fixed with wild rice in a hot dish and be great, That one could not. It unfortunately became mainly dog food.

I am not a big fan of venison chops, I do like roasts and hamburger in hot dishes, I think it makes the hot dish taste better. I am thinking I would like your Stew BC.

Any diving bird tastes bad to me, and is not worth the effort to hunt.

As a kid my Dad talked a friend and I into cleaning a couple coots. OMG He must have laughed his butt off in secret. After the second bird we stopped and threw them all away, never to shoot another coot. Minnow water would be a step up from the mud smell we got cleaning the coot.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    My toad lays an egg everyday!!

The rest not so much. I have only gotten one egg from the British gals since I got them.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Love the Christmas story. We watch it Christmas Day on TNT.

I found a perfect YouTube clip of the my cousin vinny hunter scene but the clip has 2-3 f bombs. And I won't link it here with kiddos on this thread.

9. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    My mom always made a wonderful venison tips over rice/wild rice with gravy, it was pretty tasty as I remember it.

Well, I better get that grocery list done or my DH won't be able to go shopping as early as he wants, we wouldn't want him to make me have to go... [​IMG]

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Good morning!! I am tired... I went to bed at three... Long story...

Tuesday we are butchering turkeys... Not fun... Only Mr. Christmas is getting butchered for Thanksgiving...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by