Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Good Morning!

2. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Cluckie Your DH does not want to go fishing he wants to build chicken coops. Ivie same for yours....

There is nothing they would rather do than fix and improve the coops. I bet they even want to build more coops from scratch. You are providing a valuable service to the rest of us when you have them working on your coop.

Besides it leaves more fish for the rest of us,,,

Kloppers I have to be very careful with traps here, I could never trap a fox or coyote as I know I would catch my dogs. If you figure out how to solve that let me know. Luckily I have found my live traps all fail as no predator has ever been released alive from them. They all seem to drown, which is weird.

My turkeys spend the night outside last night. We were late getting home so they got to roost in the trees, on the fences and wherever else they wanted. This morning I went to check on them ( about 8:30) the time I normally let them out, 3 were outside the pen, 3 were in the pen, and 14 were in the building. Stupid birds refuse to go in when it is dark, but go in when it is light.

I will get 3 more years as a bird owner! My wife turns 62 next month. She would like to retire, I would like her to retire. We have seriously looked at her retiring. The hard truth is we cannot afford to buy her health insurance on our pensions. We are not willing to risk everything on the chance one of us would not get a serious illness. So I get to have birds for 3 more years. (looking at the bright side of a crappy thing). Not that her retiring is the death blow to birds, but it could be. We would like to spend 3-5 months a year in Togo. Which is a hard place to take my birds too.

Maybe I could build a chicken coop at the cabin and bring 3-4 birds with me,,Hmmmmm

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Almost 10 AM!! And no posts or not many. You all know I drink more coffee on Sundays than other days. As such it is expected you all post more.

I think you all need to follow through on your New Years resolution to post more for me..

4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

I also use live traps that have an alarmingly high fatality rate.... It's weird how that works. My biggest trap would fit a big coon or doc but I doubt a coyote would fit. My dogs know to leave them away.

The only survivor of my traps had been the neighbors cat and he hasn't made that mistake twice. My wife made me promise I I catch a cat I would drive it many miles away and release it. Now that we have our own cats I am fine with removing feral cats from my farm.

Speaking of my cats (@The BlanchRanch) they moved to she shop yesterday. They are settling in but definitely seem confused why they don't get to terrorize my basement anymore. I built them a cat jungle gym from saw horses and boards to entertain them so they should be good. They also have a sunning ledge on the window

2 people like this.
  5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Maybe we could make some lawyer rich by starting a class action suit with Havahart trap company because of all the failures to keep animals alive in them...

BTW I mention this because some months ago ( read maybe years) we got a notice we were part of a class action suit over inflated flood insurance rates in Florida. We got a check in the mail yesterday. We got 97 cents..

The lawyers got millions. Ask if this PO's me....

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    yeah, this is why i won't join any class action law suits. There was one on my computer years ago, the lawyers got millions, I got to extend my warranty for a small fee...

7. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    Just 1 rooster for me.. I will let u pick the nicest one and hopefully he is pretty also... See I can say no.. Lol

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Coffee.. I will try to send you pictures so you can chose. Do you prefer big and gawdy or blue egg genes and cute and cocky?

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Well, today I am attempting to get my house back into order after being off schedule since before Christmas. Tomorrow we restart our busy schedules and lives. My goal or resolution is to get up earlier (before the kids) and have some time to myself. Maybe Ralphie I might be able to join you once in awhile for coffee in the AM. I hope so anyway. Have a great day all!

10. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    @KlopKlop Did you catch anything last night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by