Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Thanks but no thanks,

I have enough roosters as it is, not going to bring in another mutt.

I have toads though, and I think you need a colorful toad!

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ha I hope to be mostly done with mutts soon. But my grandpa loves my colorful flock and loves the brahmas the most!!

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    also in recent news...

DW and I had a farm meeting over dinner tonight to talk more about the upcoming year. I asked her about the pig discussion we had with our friend the other night to see if she was serious. She said that she is ok with it as long as i do the math and make sure it is worth it and make a plan of when, where, how etc. I need to also take into account the 2 long weekend trips we currently have planned this summer as that is additional work we would need covered and probably too much in combo with our chickens for just 1 person (such as MIL who usually helps out when we are gone).

This then turned to talking about feeding animals for the next year. We decided that I will also put my research efforts into pricing out equipment to mix our own feed as that would be double benefit if we do pigs. I need to see if buying a grinder and a gravity wagon would be worth it over time vs buying bagged feed from the mill. It also would involve me talking with the neighbor to buy corn from his when he trucks in the spring. He is our renter and we give him a steal on our land, so I am hoping he will return the favor with cheap corn. if that all adds up we will go for it.

I may be crazy to try all this along with our plans for a new house, but since I wouldn't have work to do on that until late fall I am feeling ok.

4. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    i like the looks of the last 2...

5. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I can't wait to make some toads this spring!

6. Coffee 1st

Jul 31, 2015
    well Ralphie you can tell Judy I did it again she practically laid it in my hand.. i held this one while it was still wet.. so i went to coop and i was sitting in the run ,she jumped in my lap, so i was petting her and she started screaming at me again, so i picked her up and took her inside to nest box and she jumped out, then started snuggling down on floor and making a nest so i picked her up and put her back in box and messed up her nest, she jumped out again and did the same thing,,so i again picked her up and put her in nest box. I put some plywood over the spot she wanted and OHHH MYYY she was mad.. so i sat down on the plywood and she jumped in my lap and laid an egg on my leg as i was petting her,, it came out so fast i had to grab it with my hand or it would have rolled down my leg and fell on the floor..LOL it was super cool... the egg was still wet and very warm,, i actually watched the egg dry... so i placed the egg in the box and set her in there she looked at it and jump out,, I told her Thank you gave her another pet and left with the egg.. I LOVE HER,, and i finally gave her a name today It is Strawberry,,,,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    3 people like this.
  7. Coffee 1st

Jul 31, 2015
    oops shoot commented on wrong post...sorry holm...

8. Coffee 1st

Jul 31, 2015
    Ralphie i like the looks of these 2... which 1 do you think is the nicest 1...the bottom would be my 1st choice...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Nothing like watching Alaska the last frontier and BYC.

10. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Things have quieted down now a bit. Now that I am settled in for the night of course.... Vikings whipping on the packers and BYC :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by