Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

I only had the little airplane bottle of it. Maybe 2 oz... Just enough to warm my tummy at half time

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

Just had to put this one[​IMG]. No offense anyone

3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    But the packers lost to the Bears...... Just saying [​IMG]

4. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I know everyone here loves sports, but on to better things. I think I found a good grain mill to buy just need to find time to drive to Wisconsin to get it. 2.5 hours each way

Milling my own feed and getting feeder pigs is looking more and more promising

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    i don't know if any one answered you yet, but mine will tuck their heads into the feathers on they back, between their shoulder blades, and the steam from their breath condenses on the feathers there.

6. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota

Cow update:
    She has not bagged up any. Teats and udders in same condition. Other Hereford has begun leaking mucus. Based on our limited internet research we are thinking about a week up to two. Yes vague I know. Both Herefords are put in the shed thing we made. Not stalled up, they have the whole thing to themselves. They will be safe from those 2 that seem to know something is happening and continually is harassing them. They are happy to be together and look content for now. I just am so in love with those two. Who would have thought that my heart so full of chicken love had so much room for cattle??!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Rhetts I am excited to see your soon little babies!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Oh yeah I forgot to say @holm25 if you are at all concerned for your self you should wear a mask when you clean the coop (you should regardless!!)

I started out not wearing one but I most certainly do now and I keep the kids out or they wear a mask if they are in helping clean or rebed pine shavings. Better safe than sorry.

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    It's good warm--as is any bread fresh out of the oven. Pull Judy's beer out and set it on the counter to warm up before adding to the bread. The yeast acts up a little better than. It's a sweet bread. I'll have to give you guys this cinnamon/honey/butter spread recipe which I've been told by DH is the best ever (he had it at a party) I have a sneaking suspicion it will work nicely on this bread.
    Hen's tend to tuck their heads...but Roosters don't seem to know that trick. And I don't know if it's a large wattle comb issue. Even though my roo has lost 2/3rds of each of those body parts he still doesn't "tuck". I can see that possibly a hen may have been breathing on that rooster's back for the night or she nestled her face into his back feathers...IJDK. It maybe will remain a mystery...

The whole mask thing has made coop cleaning just a tidge more bare-able for myself. I don't have it on when I lay down the new pine shavings though--because I enjoy the smell so much. Maybe I should though.

I left chooks in coop this AM. -4 F. Now. I'll let them out on my lunch hour. They'll get some scratch and spinach leaves. I also need to resupply their grit. Make sure they're getting all their nutrition from that food I'm giving.

This morning I brought down a bucket of warm water and a bucket of hot water. I pulled out my fount which was in solid form as suspected and poured the hot water on the top of it and the large ice block released and slid out of the gallon waterer. and a little hot water for the drinking fount, red part. To get out the ice ring. worked like a charm. I then filled up with the luke warm water. Put it back on the cookie tin heater which has issues at -15F let alone at -25. although the coop at roost height was -10F...that floor is COLD. I should actually just bring it up at night and back down in the morning. But it's just a habit of remembering.

10. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL - I am REALLY happy for you holms and they are my second favorite team that I will watch. So that is good news.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by