Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

That's is on my list of options but I'm looking for ideas of low cost reused/recycled materials. I'm sure somebody out there had some cool ideas but I haven't had time to look for it yet

I would consider myself very lucky ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    If u do a wood pen make sure it is white oak or Tamarac boards or they will chew right through it.

3. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

I got my calendar I won!! I love it so much!!

1 person likes this.
  4. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    If I don't find anything good i am headed to the metal scraper. I should be able to get enough scrap to weld my own continuous fence for cheap. Scrap metal is $70 a ton right now

5. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I hope u find something. I have had lots of experience with pigs so I can help u with any questions[​IMG]

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am back from my trip to the dentist(s).

They have this racket figured out. I went to the dentist, I foolishly thought he would fix it... NOPE

He sent me to another dentist that does root canals... This tooth had a root canal 25 years ago. They did them different then and what they did fails after 30 years..

So they are going to drill a hole in the cap and redo the root canal... I asked why they did not simply take the cap off.

Because we don't do that was the answer.

Then after they drill the hole in the cap and do the "new" root canal, they will put a temporary filling in the cap...

Why do you not put a permanent filling in the cap..... "Because we don't, you go back to your regular dentist and he puts a permanent fillings, you have to go back to a regular dentist for that'..

I wish I could sell eggs like that. I am sorry I only sell the whites, you need to see X for the yolks.. Oh you want a shell on your eggs too?

BC Blackie sleeps with his head under his wing. I saw him doing that last night and it surprised me, I have never seen a rooster do that before. Of course he was sleeping right next to Ed and knew Ed would protect him.

I forgot to mention the above conversation with the "other dentist" cost me $160!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. meltedviking

meltedviking Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    So glad I found this thread!

We got our first flock of three (as babies) back in May. This is our first experience with real MN winter temps. They live in a loft-style 4x4 coop without a heater or a light. I like to think it's well ventilated with little drafts, but I'm no expert.

Wondering when I should go into emergency mode - are there signs, or if it gets down to a certain temp? We have a storage room in our home where the girls can warm up, and a garage that isn't heated. We haven't implemented either of these options, and we'd like to avoid them so the girls can stay adjusted to the low temps as well as possible.

The girls seem okay. No super happy, but they come out of the coop without coaxing. They basically just stand there, but they will scratch around if I throw some treats in the run. They each had a little ice on their back this morning, but earlier posts in this thread have explained that.

Please reply and help calm a worry-wart's mind!

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    welcome to the thread!!~!

What kind of birds? The combs are what really make the difference. Single comb birds will lose the tips, but that is more or as much to moisture as it is to the bitter cold.

My CX's sat outside last night and did ok. Stupid things refuse to go in the new coop! All but 2 of my turkeys sat out in the cold last night. They all survived fine.

Your birds will be fine... There did I calm you?

Glad you found us so we could help you,,,

9. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Welcome!! What part of minnesota are u from??

What is the temp in the coop?? I think they should be fine if it stays at least 10 degrees or more.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Are you nuts? At 10 degrees I pluck half the feathers off mine so they do not over heat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by