Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. meltedviking

meltedviking Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Two Australorps and a Rhode Island Red. They RIR seems the hardiest, though she has the largest comb. She's been walking around all day, scratching and foraging like nothing is different.

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie why do another root canal? i would just opt to pull the tooth but that is just me. there would be no further problems with said tooth/root canal/temp filling/permanent filling/cap.

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Hey!! Mine are like children to me!! They need to be warm so I get lots of eggs! Out of the thirty hens I am getting at least one egg a day!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    @meltedviking leave the girls in the coop. They are perfectly fine! Last winter was my first and to be honest I did everything wrong! This year there is no heat, I kick them outside all the time and they are just fine.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I forgot to give my egg report!

I got 17 eggs today

5 from the creamettes. one was frozen and cracked

1 from the toads

and 11 from the layers, I am not sure if the Partridge Chanticler laid or not. I mixed them into the flock yesterday, It was just too cold to force them to stay in the ICU any longer. I am betting they are fine and knowing EJB that is a safe bet.

They slept right with the other birds. Squished in between them. They looked happy.

6. meltedviking

meltedviking Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    And yes, you've calmed me. I was just hoping someone wouldn't say "NO HEAT IN A MN COOP...ARE YOU NUTS!?!?"

In the end I really am a big worrier, and my hens' comfort and safety is a big priority.

7. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Hes too chick-chick-CHICKEN!!

1 person likes this.
  8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

My flock is in an unheated coop and they are doing just fine. Tips about keeping moisture down are spot on, but other than that be sure they have plenty of feed to keep their caloric intake up to keep them warm. Water access is important as they wont eat if they can't drink. I give extra whole corn right now as I have heard that helps them stay warm

9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

You will see that as a trend around here :) our chickens are important to us!

1 person likes this.
  10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I still have all my teeth, I kind of want to keep them all..

BTW I forgot to mention the dentist is Holm's younger brother, I am sure is is only 4-5 years away from puberty,,,

and I am a chicken.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by