Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Nope. She doesn't give a rats little behind about them. Last time I saw her like this is when I sold a bunch of Cayuga ducks to some guy. She had never acted like that with anyone else before or after that.

2. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

By now Melted Viking - you can tell that certain members of this blog have been together for a long time. Its a great place to entertain yourself at and to learn alot of useful information. Welcome

1 person likes this.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I hate the passing around bit. I mean just grow a pair and expand your skills, already. (This is a statement for the dentists Ralphie) I have a great dentist in Grand Rapids. Lisa Johnson. I've never liked a dentist like I like her. She's so dang fun...and the kids love her. She glued a cap back on for me for peanuts. I referred a friend's kid with a volleyball in the face chipped tooth and she did it for free stating, "I like kids in athletics--this one is one the house." I mean she is rare!
    Welcome Melted Viking. I think you very much have the right idea already about not heating the coop. you will find me moderate on my position in that I don't like exposing my birds to -15 or less. So I've made a small investment of a Cozy Legs Heater from Target --$30 bucks. Cluckies and Erlibird on this thread also use this nice piece of winter equipment. It is low wattage (150 watts) and takes the edge off in the coop for those dreadfully bad nights. It is 3x the expense of a $10 lamp. but for $20 more I have peace of mind that my coop won't burn down and my birds won't become deconditioned to the cold. It's a middle of the road option if you want to splurge. Hens do the under the wing tuck as you've noticed. I think Birds definitely are ok in those temps bodily...it's just those fringes that get nipped without feathers. Feet/ Combs/ Wattles. I add lower roosts in the winter to avoid broken toes, feet and easy warm up spots.

[​IMG]

I don't know my rooster roosted closer to it last night. He knew he had -24 in store for himself last night or something.
    I used to live near St. Charles as a kid and my Mom was from Houston. So I remember the damp cold winds and snow drifts over my head.

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We are a byc family!!

5. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL

6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    "I have adopted the children from some local starving dentists and am paying their first years of college now" ~Ralphie.

Priceless....

7. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Yes it can be great entertainment :)

BTW Welcome Meltedviking!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. meltedviking

meltedviking Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

1 person likes this.
  9. meltedviking

meltedviking Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    And for all the advice, of course!

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Honey Cinnamon Butter