Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    well only the smallest eggs froze today, so that is good. i cooked and mashed all the frozen ones from today and yesterday and fed them to the girls with corn and scratch. the are hardly eating any mash so i figured they needed a protein boost. everyone still looking ok, even Big Buck. he looks like he thawed out nicely.

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ralphie: that Blackie sounds like a smart Rooster. Tucking his head in cold MN winter nights. Smart boy. I'm glad you are getting some girls in a pen with him to pass on those smart genetics. Love the BA's.

Kloppers It's good you're feeding the eggs to your birds. Do you give scratch in the mornings or later during the day? Not to tell you what to do, But I recognize this from my first winter with birds. They are getting trained to wait for the treats and you might have to go a day or two or mix it up some to let them know they should be eating their mash. Come spring the girls might not lay as well for you due to nutrition issues. Like I said I recognize that issue from my own experience and as much fun as it is giving them scratch and seeing them gobble it up for you they should get no more than a TBSP a day for each bird and the rest should be their formulated feed.

1 person likes this.
  3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I don't normally give any scratch in the morning, just a bit in the afternoon on 'Most' days and probably more or less what you recommend at a Tablespoon each. The last 2 days i have been giving 3 ears of cob corn at morning and night at night per coop (~24 hens per coop) plus about a cup of scratch each. I am doing it to encourage the girls to get up and move and drink and fill their crops.

I appreciate the advice and it is good to know that my 'normal' treat giving fits into that as i have just been eyeballing it. When it warms up or if we get too many more days of the cold i will go back to normal. Like you said, I would hate to get them too far out of balance with their diets. On normal days they get nearly free choice layer mash plus access to calcium grit.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That is because you are closer to the wicked witch of the south. Nothing pleasant occurs near her.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Okay. Well it sounds like you have your head on your shoulders. (And you always have though, [​IMG]) I just got a bit nervous for ya. Because when they quit laying when you know they should be picking up it sucks.

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I am guilty of over doing the corn right now ( Chicken crack). I know the potential is there and I know I will forget why it is happening when they slow down. The turkeys seem to get the lions share of the corn though. I think I am going through the right amount of layer mash, but hard to say.

It is like your heater, I know better, but I feel better giving it to them. Hopefully the cold will moderate soon and I can stop the corn/BOSS.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I really do appreciate your concern! I need a reality check once in a while.

8. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  9. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I've been giving more treats because of the cold weather but I think it's healthy treats. The other day the popdoor was closed all night and probably until noon, when I opend it and let them out the 6 young hens RAN quick to the crushed shell container like they were being starved of calcium!! kind of freaked me out cause I thought about it earlier but decided a few hours is no big deal since they had layer mash inside.... So I threw some oyster shell indoors for when they are locked in and with the next days oatmeal I mixed in crushed egg shells.

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hahaha! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by