Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    It feels way colder today than yestersay

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    You guys have ne scared to go outside.

I am thinking Holms should do an extra credit homework assignment and community service project.

He should travel to all the homes of people from Minnesota that our over 60 and feed and water their birds on days colder than 0.

Then make a report of all the good deeds he did, Single spaced 40,000 words long.

3. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Morning and thanks Klop. looks like some good reading to me.

4. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Klop, you should be able to get roasted soybeans at any feed store of consequence. I used to feed it to my race pigeons as part of their ration. They were not fond of it, and it was always the last thing they ate. I switched to Austrian Peas for that part of the ration although they are much more expensive.
    The activists in the U.S. have given soybeans a bad rap as relates to animal feed, but that is uneducated nonsense.
    The Japanese people are some of the healthiest and most long lived in the world, and they consume much soy based food stuffs.

5. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Said nasally - ahhhh mom - its too cold to get up.

1 person likes this.
  6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

I figured I could get it at the local mill but haven't called. Do you recall how expensive it was for say 50lbs? $10? $15? $30?

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I find this post amusing in that it reminds me of my Dad. We use to have bins full of soybeans here when I was a kid. My Dad would check the for harvest by biting and tasting the beans. I got to the point I could bite one and tell if it was ready to combine.

Dad would always warn us to not swallow the bean as they are not good for humans to eat. All those bins and we never ate one ever! Now I find myself buying roasted soybeans as a snack when I can find them..

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Raw soybeans are not good for humans or poultry. There is something in it that damages the tissue in your digestive system. That natural chemical breaks down when it is heated up (200 degrees I think).
    That is why they have to be roasted or boiled to feed to livestock

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Kloppers that was not the part I found humorous, I find it humorous we had all those bins of soybeans and we never made anything to eat from them.

I am sure there was something we could have made with them.

10. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Where do you set this up at in your coop? It just radiates heat from it then? I think I may break down and put a little heat lamp in the coop tonight to take the edge off and help with the sniffles going around. I do like the idea of having something that won't burn the place down! My little BCM rooster has some frostbit tips. I think he's self conscious about it. What a wuss.

Welcome to BYC!

Amazing. Now I just need a recipe for the beer bread [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by