Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    If anyone is interested, i have hit what i would consider a goldmine of info on chicken feed recipes:

http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html

even if you arent thinking about mixing your own feed, it is kind of cool to see what goes into it!

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    That's a nice link.

I like seeing the animal based protein as well in the fish meal.

It always bothers me seeing "Vegetarian -- " on chicken feed bags...I think Nutrena does that on their layer feed...when most folks who raise chickens know that chickens are omnivorous naturally. I think there is some concern from people that have feather pickers ...etc.

IDK. I get what they are trying to do there. Reassure their customers that there is no floor sweepings from a nasty meat packing plant bi-product in their precious birds' feed. And not that I would want that for my own birds. But why not get smart about it and find a way to put in animal product from some ethical source if possible. Fishmeal...may most likely work if you ask me. Sounds like a nice recipe you've found there Kloppers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    All the additives in those recipes are available from Fertrell dealers (google it, there are two in MN) if you are ever looking for fish meal, nutrient additives, kelp meal, or stuff like that. they also have products for cattle, swine, and most other larger livestock.

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hmmm good to know. Are you going to get that feed mill, then? Looks like you are leaning that way....

I saw one for sale in my Premier Magazine I got last week. $400 for a new one. Ouch. But if you go through feed...maybe not such a bad investment.

5. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

We will see what comes of it. I'm not in a rush to get one right this minute, but if a deal popped up. Maybe.

I am still looking for sources for some stuff. For instance I need soybeans (roasted whole, or meal) and need to know where to get it and how much it costs. I use about 120 lbs of layer feed a week right now and closer to 100 in summer so I should be able to figure out what the cost difference is over sacked feed. I need to see what options are available from the local feed mill too.

By my calculations I could save $1 to $1.50 per head on my broilers for the summer (based on typical CX feeding charts) and $7-9 a week on layer feed

It doesn't sound like much up front but over time, it adds up. Plus I foresee us continuing to grow our chickening business over time so that margin could grow over time.

Keep in mind this isn't even factoring in pig feed which is what started this whole number crunching extravagance to begin with!!

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Yep, I have always wanted to meet a teen Genious. [​IMG] I met his younger brother the dentist today

Edited after I read the rest of the thread...
    I feel bad now that I see Kloppers and BC both busted your chops over this...... but not all that bad..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I can let you in on a secret, I do not heat the coop, BUT my stupid water design failed me so I have a heat lamp focused on it. The smarter chickens sit under it during the day, BUT it is not all that warm either. It only runs 14 hours a day. I have water in a steel fount with a heated base near the house, I should just shut the light off, but they seem to enjoy the little warmth it gives them,

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    -9 this AM feels like -25.... Need to get moving and check my birds!

9. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Mornin'
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Mornin' cluckies and kloppers. Time to get some kids out of bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by