Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I am shaky and the i is right next to the u!!

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh Holm: I would not want to deal with open water and mud for ducks and geese in the winter.

And a Turkey would last 5 minutes on my low wetlands with Blackhead. But those I definitely want...But it's just not in the cards.

3. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

You all are such a hoot you make me cluck - cluck - cluck. My birds are doing fine but I have been giving them some heat at night. I am a woos when it comes to my chickies. It is not very much heat so if the electricity does go out they will need to cuddle closer. And their water is right there - reachable but outside the coop on the font so they just need to stick their head through the opening to get a drink. That seems to be when they do most of the drinking. My little gippers! I tuck them in every single, stupid, cold night. They love me, they love me. Okay - enough!

YOU have taught me about many treats to give to the birds. Oatmeal, Scrambled eggs, BOSS, CC, I give them safflower seeds too. Not too much but I have read that is good for them. So far, so good. The RI losing her feathers just above her tail base but at the bottom of the wings is already growing some back. I think that Tom Hanks jumps her too much and that is why the loose of feathers. He has them trained now. They just lay there (did I really just say that?) and let him have his way. Its over faster that way but I still feel sorry for them.

Well, with that thought, and hopefully I will not worry about them at 1:30 a.m. this morning, I am going to wind things up, head up to read for a short while and cuddle my puppies, then hit the mattress. Goodnight.

4. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Thanks BC!! Now Ralph knows that its not dumb to own waterfowl if I'm smart and I own them!

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Awww. You're a good Chicken Momma. That's for sure. And you've got yourself a trained coop builder...and that's more than I got.

Mmmm...a good read. I'm rereading the Outlander series. On the 4th book. Just adore the series. And hitting the mattress on a cold winter's night sounds real good right now. Time for my Old Lady Nap.

Night Night, Ivie.

6. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    My new years resolution is to yap less and listen more! I like to think i have done my homework but i also need to remember to listen to the people who know what they are talking about. I am still pretty wet behind the ears!

Is your middle name humble?!?!?

7. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Got my shop heated up to the high 70's and the faucet is now thawed out. Will be happy to not have to carry water tomorrow!

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm old but when it comes to chickens I'm only 4 years in. So maybe still considered wet behind the ears too.

9. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Lol.... I think I read to many of Ralphs posts... It is havimg an effect on me... Thats why I am getting so smart!!

10. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    This is my first year with laying hens and my first winter with any poultry! I jumped in with both feet haha

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by