Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Look who I caught on the nest today! Ralphie I never appreciated CXs until you opened my eyes. We love Betty white!
    [​IMG]

She laid this
    [​IMG]

Also picked up this screamer today too. Probably a double yolk
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have another CX that I think is about to lay! Her comb is bright red and I caught her in the British Gals nest. I was shocked I did not think they could get that high off the ground. The nest was about 30 inches up.

That egg is what Bertha's eggs look like, I think the specks are getting less all the time.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    The speckled ones are my favorite :)

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    So this is from a thread from last year with my point and click thermometer, this was with the aquarium heater in the bucket (if you want to see the thread, click on the sentence, it is a good thread):

I've been doing some research, it seems like the higher up on the bucket the nipples are, the less likely they are to freeze, I used my point and shoot thermometer, 25 degrees near the bottom and 50 near the top, 44 midway. On a warmer day it was 78 near the top, 60 midway and 39 near the bottom.

I wouldn't mind trying the reflex insulation, but would not want to buy a whole roll just for enough to cover a bucket...

I think I'll run out and see what it reads with the bird bath de-icer in there.

Ok, so today when it was 25 outside, 38 in the run. The bottom inch of the bucket read approx. 40, and the top read around 63. the top nipple read 60, the bottom nipple read approx. 43.

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Lovely!

Hahaha, they look great!

Yikes! screamer is right!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    The 'smaller' egg pictures is actually good sized in its own right too. Probably an extra large by grading standards

7. scandiafowl

scandiafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota
    Well... There you all are.

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Wifey just approved my proposal to buy the log splutter on Black Friday if I can get my hands on one. There are two menards in Rochester so I hope I can get one from one of them

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    WTG Kloppers!

I suggest the biggest and best they have, When she is in the mood, it is best to not mess around.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    May as well go for it Kloppers. You will probably be mad at yourself later if you go 1/2 way on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by