Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes. Lots of maple and cottonwood around here. Also old oak in some places. We are more in the 'savanah' area down here

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Nope. I got a large Popcorn with Extra butter. And my daughter dumped half and I was still full. She's a little on the clumsy side.

It was good. I don't know if you've read the books or not. It follows the end of the books very closely. I think it's sometimes hard to wrap up a series and we all agree that usually the first movie of a series of movies is usually the best. They did it exactly to what the books are. It was a part of the books I didn't like as much as other parts. So that's my two cents. Jennifer Lawrence is a heck of an actress though. She's really excellent.
    Thanks for the photos Ralphie. They are really gorgeous birds. I've always liked these. When the biter is behaving himself you'll have to get a photo of him out of jail. Okay?

3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We are now #5 on the Listy List. Nice work Minnesotans..... & Sconnsinites--. [​IMG]

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Before the movie this afternoon I had some visitors today. The neighbor boy was up at his cabin and he brought up a friend from the cities too. They are both 13 like my kids. DS was out hunting doing drives and so he wasn't home to give the honors. But both boys requested to see Roger and the Girls. The coop and Run and so we went down. They had lots of questions. I asked them to take off their blaze orange hats for their visit because bright hats anger him. LOL. They were so cute and grabbed them off and tucked them away. They also held a stick in their hand. If Roger respects nothing else....he respects a fluff lifter. LOL. So I stood there and answered cute and good questions about chickens to these two 13 year olds. I could tell they were itching to hold some chickens so I told them to put down their fluff busters and I handed Roger over to them. He is soft and impressive to hold and Roger minded his p's and q's with the boys. I then was requested to get Dixie the silkie. In which they held for quite some time. And continued with questions.

How old will they live until? Didn't you have sweaters for them one winter? Why does one chicken only have 1 tail feather? LOL. I loved it.

I did think of AI. But these boys don't have chickens and it was 14 degrees out. That virus is not going to live very long outside of a host...I don't think. Anyways I was glad to share my flock with inquiring teenage minds. Good boys.

5. willzpapa

willzpapa Papa Santee

Sep 26, 2015
    Hillbilly Heaven NC
    C'mon I know this is for you Minnesotans but I'm glad Ralph's back

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    How sweet! Your the coolest lady in town now! [​IMG]

7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    oh gosh cluckies. I KNOW that I'm a chicken nerd. They spent a quite a bit of time down there actually. Just watching the interactions.

Watching chickens is like watching the sea. They are in continual motion. Very relaxing. Even for 13 year old boys apparently.

LOL. Love Love that they were so interested!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Hey willzpapa

It might be mainly Minnesotans here, but it is for anyone that can be civil and not go out to there way to insult and disrespect others.

I am glad you guys are here to chat.

There is no sense for me to be on that other thread at this time. Not going to rehash it or get into it anymore than that. I never did leave BYC I just left the other thread to avoid a worthless online confrontation that would serve no purpose. It was obvious others wanted to push a political agenda.

I do not believe the agenda that was being pushed, and there is no sense arguing it on a platform where political discussions are not allowed like BYC.

If others want to describe my actions as gutless or lacking fortitude to stand up for my beliefs. so be it. Nothing is to be accomplished by staying there and arguing.

End of it, I shall say no more.. Thanks for stopping by Willapapa

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    shawluvsbirds likes this.
  9. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Ralph you are lucky, The Grand Ole Opry! I'd also love to go there.
    I don't have any SS but they are on my wish list for next year, beautiful birds.
    The 2 days of wind did some destuction. My poor green house :( we have to replace the plastic on the north side, we used heavy plastic so i hope during the winter blast soon to come that it holds up this time, im sure hubby will figure out a "better" way to attach the plastic. I put up my Christmas decorations early this year although they are not turned on yet but i lost an artificial tree that snapped in the wind, pulled it right out of the ground and it was even secured down with tent stakes. :(.
    We did get up some wooden fence panels around the run nearest to the pop doors of the coop/barn im hoping that helps with the temperature. We also got the haymow barn doors covered up for the winter. Tomorrow i best get my heated dog bowls ready for all of the critters just in case. Our pond is froze over but the water so far inside the barn/coop has not froze.
    My girls are being slackers too, i get anywhere from 0-3 eggs a day since the temperature change and i have 30 oh wait 40 ah that's not right either if im using chicken math i have 7 :)
    We bought a ceramic heater for the part of the garage with the hot tub and it seems to be making a difference, we started putting up a new ceiling in that part of the garage tonite and you never realized how weak you are until your holding something up over your head, hubby couldn't get the screws in fast enough. We also got a new to us wood stove for the garage as our old one seen better days.
    Lastly, deviled eggs yum! I use the same recipie.

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Thanks, I am looking forward to the grand ol Opry.

We are going to try to catch some other shows too. Maybe go to some songwriters clubs.

I got nothing much done today, but I did spend about an hour outside giving the girls treats and talking to them. I held a few. And got bit by one!

shawluvsbirds likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by