Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. littlechicks02

littlechicks02 Out Of The Brooder

I don't live in Minnesota, so I don't have much to share. But I do live in a place that is always summer, wet or dry and where your cat comes back into the house panting and sweating, and Begs to have a cold bath. So pretty much the opposite of Minnesota lol. I'd still like to be informed on those battling winter while my chickens and I are sweating our butts off here, down under. -Kimberly :jumpy

2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie and KlopKlop it is a requirement to have your own splitter if you burn much wood. Most wood is easily split with the mechanical splitters. Birch can be a bit troublesome because of the bark, but if you split wood when it is below zero it pops very nicely.
    By far the worst to split is Elm. In some cases it is like splitting rocks.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Welcome to the thread, My birds are jealous, Except for my CX;s they seem to like the cold.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I agree, and I agree more now than I did 30 years ago.

I got some "free" wood that ended up being Elm. What a mistake, the worst free thing I ever got. The bark on birch never bothered me. I like to rip it off and throw it in my kindling pile when it does that weird break

Ash is by far my favorite thing to split, but it smells like dog poop.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have an idea for my waterers. However, I am not sure it is such a bright idea. So I bring it here for feedback before I try it.

What if I put a red heat lamp shining onto the water cups.

My worries are obvious, I assume. Fire, but I will have the waterers outside so that is minimal.

Injury to the birds, from the bulb breaking, glass on ground. cutting on head. Pecking at bulb. I am just not sure.

I have even thought of bringing the waterer inside and using one of those pad things Cluckies and BC have.

Just fishing for your ideas and thoughts now,,Thanks

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    And another thing, it was 12 degrees again this morning, this is starting to be a trend I do not care for.

7. Oh yeah. One of the best I ever had.
    Told everyone about how well he was treated up until the last.

I only carved up half of him before the meal because he was so big I knew the rest I would send home with people. Just a wing was huge. Very impressive bird.

8. So this black Friday Log Splitter. How much?

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

do you want to know for yourself to purchase it, OR do you want to know a price to tell your wife when you buy it? They are not always the same number.

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Welcome to the thread Kimberly! Hey if you want to cyber suffer with us, you are welcome to do so! [​IMG]

Hmmm, you could try it, maybe get those caged fixtures for over the bulb to make it a little safer? I don't think a pad would work as your water itself isn't frozen right? just the nipples?

But, anything is worth a try. You could maybe experiment with this, I know you already have those heated water founts?:
    Maybe moving your nipples up higher on our bucket would help. do you have extra nipples and an extra bucket to try moving them higher?

10 degrees and all is well.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by