Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    Just checking in.. Good morning all... Hope everyone is staying warm. Still haven't figured out how to upload pics from new iPhone ap but I guess some people have figured it out.. Chicken chores are done so far today, poop cleaned, everyone is feed, smashed a pumpkin in the yard, that was kinda fun :) ... My new lil puppy Aspen is not chasing chickens anymore I think hitting him with the hose helped.. It was purely and accident so plz nobody call animal control on me. Few days ago he was chasing the chickens and I was rolling the hose up to put away for the winter and I swung the hose to scare him at the same time he ran underneath it and it's smacked right on his head. Poor little thing let out a yelp. I felt horrible. But he hasn't chased a chicken since..

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I can keep the water thawed inside the "tank" it is the bowl of the water cup that freezes up. I have thought of the dip sticks, but I think they would get too hot and melt the plastic barrel if they came in contact with it.

I am also as always looking to do this on the CHEAP.... I am think just new founts is the key.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  3. Better than a dead bird. Sometimes things just work themselves out.

Time to go Turkey day shopping. Have a good day all!!

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Good morning Coffee 1st.

I think you are okay to do a little firm training with a puppy. If being brought up naturally with their Momma...they would be learning manners probably even more aggressively. So I think you are safe from animal control here. [​IMG] Much better to be firm than to have dead chickens. I'm a believer in that.

With the movie and the visitors yesterday and the Vikings Green Bay game today...I'm thinking I should get a few morning cleaning duties done. The weekend goes by to fast and the week never lends much time for house duties, especially when I'd rather be on BYC.

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I think all our puppies have learned things by accident. like stay out of my feet in the kitchen! I have one that learned that lesson, and one that no matter how many times you step on her or kick her by accident she just won't learn [​IMG] what do you do?[​IMG]

7. I gave in and just bought the heater that goes under the fount. If you bought some really big ones that would be the easiest way out. But definitely not the cheapest.

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I find I cannot do it from the app, but if I open BYC in safari then I can upload the pictures.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  9. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    As far as the watering for the chickens I cheated and got couple of those electric heated 3 gal poultry buckets from TSC I rotate them fill one half full and add couple capfuls of ACV with mother. So I always have one in the house clean and one in the chicken run and so far they seem to work great I have not had any water freezing. And one and a half gallons of water seems to last for two days.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  10. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Perhaps i could split it for you if I manage to get my hands on a new splitter :)

Good morning all! I am in from chores and even took the dogs for a walk down to the section corner and back. had to really bundle up! Making some coffee to warm up with while DW gets made up for 'going to meeting' this morning. These frigid yet sunny and blue skied days are so deceiving! 19 degrees, indeed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by