Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Basswood is what carvers make high end duck decoys out of. It is a very straight grained soft wood. I do not think it is a good burning wood. Worse than Popple even. Crazy you should check Ebay for basswood blocks, the size and the price. A few years ago it was good priced. You may not want to burn it.

I am glad you got the widowmaker down without making any widows Kloppers..

I think I have the water fixed. I did them two different ways.

For the turkeys I wrapped "heat tape" around the cups. I then covered them with duct tape and BC's shiny silver stuff. I have a submersible heater in the barrel, and the barrel sits on a heater. I wrapped the entire barrel in a double layer of that silvery stuff. When I checked just before coming in 2 out of three cups were thawed out, BUT it is only 30 degree here too.

For the chickens I gave in and put the barrel inside the coop. I put a heat pan inside the 55 gal. barrel on the floor. I then put the 35 gal barrel inside the 55 gal barrel on top of the heater pan. I put a submersible heater inside the 35 gal barrel. Wrapped the barrel in the shiny stuff again , Twice. I had to take the drinking cups off the 35 gal barrel to get it inside the 55 gal barrel. I made a opening just large enough for the cups to poke through, and screwed the drinking cups back on from outside the 55 gal barrel.

No pictures my cell phone was in the house.

I gave the CX's a new shiny 8 gal steel fount on a heated base, I got at fleetfarm in Cambridge today.

I gave the 3 gallon heated fount to the creamettes incase their barrel freezes up, but theirs was good this AM even.as cold as it was. Theirs is inside the cafeteria I built them. Creamettes need to be spoiled if you are to get a diamond encrusted egg from them.

I filled everything with water and feed so the DW will not have to while I am off having adventures in babysitting the next couple days.

Speaking of eggs, here is my egg totals from each group of birds:

Creamettes----- 0
    Layers----------- 0
    CX's---------- 0
    British gals------ 0

So as you can see I have all my hens producing at the same level now! A goal many aim for, but no one hits. I am special!

Half the turkeys went into the roosting house on their own tonight. Had I not been filling their feeder at roosting time I bet all but 3-4 would have went inside. I scared some out when I went in.

The guineas are spending the night outside. That shiny silver water tank is way too scary to risk going into the same building it is in.

shawluvsbirds, Cluckies and erlibrd like this.
  2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    After coming in from the tree and watching a somewhat disappointing first half of the Vikings game I went out to winterize my motorcycle. I put stabilizer in the gas and fired it up to let it draw it into the carbs and corn kernels come shooting out of the exhaust! Those darn mice!!!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I sure hope the silvery sparkly stuff helps Ralphie. Interested to see what happens.

I got a bang out of your egg count tally and the requirements for diamond encrusted eggs. Lol.

Kloppers we always need to check the air filters for the snowmobiles and such. The mousies love to build nests in those inconvenient places.

4. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

You are a poet?

5. lvie

Try calling ahead. Will they let you purchase over the phone say on Wednesday if you do not pick up til Friday?

6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    This photo is of Gloria my Leghorn. I snuck in at roosting time and nabbed her off the roost to check her over for general health. She is under heavy feather growth as you can see... look at all those pins! I am glad she wont be naked anymore on the back, but that is how i distinguished her from the other leghorns :(
    [​IMG]

7. lvie

Yea! And you are still with us because you listen to all your 'friends' and waited til the smart time to take er down. LOL - you must be a fantastic male specimen. LOL You listened! Ahhhhhh . . . . cut me some sexist slak.

8. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    This poor girl I'm not sure what to do about her first it was her ears and now it's her eyes. I noticed yesterday she was scratching her eyes quite a bit. Then today when I was giving them mealworms I noticed how bad her eyes were. So after they all went to roost I went and got her and brought her back into the bathroom and gave her some leftover antibiotics that I had from my dog when she had her teeth pulled. I figured the dosage should be the same since my dog only weighs 4 1/2 lbs. I hope this works otherwise I might have to put her to sleep permanently. I would hate to do that because she has always been my favorite one since the day I got them. She seems to be the only one that ever has any problems. Right eye [​IMG] left eye [​IMG] antibiotics that I gave her [​IMG]

9. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes i am glad i waited too. we tried a few different pulls on it to make sure we were safe. It was amazing to see how the tree reacted. At one point the whole base of the 18" tree began to dig into the ground like a stake. amazing it can do that! of course i stopped immediately because it just started to try to stand on end and would have flopped over on me. Having my friend to spot and drag chain made it much safer.

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Those molting birds just go through a lot to get those pins pushed through and start their new feathers. I had a couple that stayed on the roost for a couple days and I actually was pretty concerned for them and then.... Feather explosion the next day. It's hard to see them like that.

One thing though, and I saw it for my birds again this year is being strict on the formulated feed. Giving meat scraps when available and clean fresh water with electrolyte boosts once or twice a week. The molt didn't seem too harsh this year.

I've had a hen that contracted blackhead but it went full blown only because she was molting. Her immune system was down putting energy into feathers. So doing everything else impeccably becomes 10x important during the molt.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by