Surviving Minnesota!

Those molting birds just go through a lot to get those pins pushed through and start their new feathers. I had a couple that stayed on the roost for a couple days and I actually was pretty concerned for them and then.... Feather explosion the next day. It's hard to see them like that.

One thing though, and I saw it for my birds again this year is being strict on the formulated feed. Giving meat scraps when available and clean fresh water with electrolyte boosts once or twice a week.

I've had a hen that contracted blackhead but it went full blown only because she was molting. Her immune system was down putting energy into feathers. So doing everything else impeccably becomes 10x important during the molt.
I lost a different leghorn to molt this year. She just kind of sat down and gave up. She wouldnt eat or drink and just wasted away. I moved her to her own pen and gave her water and tuna and she wouldnt even that.

DH family Thanksgiving party today. HUGE and it was only half of them. When it comes to the great-grands I have a hard time with the names. Three news babies (all are in the great grandkid category) May 28th, June 6th and June 7th. It was a good time.

Too bad about the Vikings. Congrats to the Packers. They are the second team I root for.

Thanks for telling me to try the font this first winter of chickens Ralphie. Its been good so far.

That metal roof my DH put over the run - not so good. He is not happy - again - because its my fault that the top frosts up and then drips into the run while thawing. If only I really had all the power I am credited with. He is thinking that foam insulation may work. I am wondering how that will help if it is not realllllly tight against the studs because it will melt above the stud where it is attached. Pretty soon, if this keeps up, I can put a cot out there and sleep. It should be pretty nice.

I just wonder what will happen when it gets 'cold' outside. Maybe we won't have many below O this year. Maybe . . . . .

So coffee. Recap what did you do to treat her for the ear thing. Besides debriding the ear...Was she also treated for mites?
treated and then retreated all the birds with the pour on just to be on the safe side.. but i did just put down new straw inside the coop couple wks ago. I got the straw from the same place as i bought it the 1st time Anoka Ramsey Farm and Garden..

Last edited:
Have you check her feathers near her vent to see if they are still there? It's an easier place to check for them. They will be itty bitty maroon specs scrambling out of the light and the like that area and they are easiest to see there to confirm mites.

If no mites then I would just do cool water soaks and antibiotic salves- Neosporin without the pain killer in it. ( caines are bad for birds) you'll probably have to do it a couple times a day.
This will soothe and help heal.
No other birds itching? I'd do vent checks on every body to be sure.
I know you've done a heck if a lot to make sure this bird was getting well. Frustrating in sure. Sometimes this stuff happens.

i will cked her backside tomorrow,, and no i never see he get bullied she is always right in the mix... hope she gets better. its one thing to go to Ralphies camp its another to do my own bird... but if this keeps recurring with only her it might just be kinder...

There is a point where you determine you've done all that you can do with a certain number of resources. I've had hens that I've bought expensive medicines for and when I look back I doubt I would do it again. But it was my way of coping-caring for the bird at that point in time for my own conscious. I remember being there coffee. I do. And whatever you decide. To try a few more things or to cull her, well just know we've all been there and made the tough calls.

When you check her over. Open her beak and at the top will be a split. See if there is a pocket of infection there. Residual from the ear that flared up again? Maybe...?

Some others threads have suggested a natural vet RX $6 to put around eyes.

Does she have a cough with this?

Idk coffee. These are my only thoughts on this. Let us know how you turn out.

i will cked her backside tomorrow,, and no i never see he get bullied she is always right in the mix... hope she gets better. its one thing to go to Ralphies camp its another to do my own bird... but if this keeps recurring with only her it might just be kinder...

Poor sweet hen, all these problems... good luck I hope she makes it!

Back
Top Bottom