Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Ha! I know I can not justify one at normal prices. But black Friday prices? Just maybe.

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Crowing Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Crowing

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Good morning BR, cluckies, klop and little chicks from down undah.

Throw some shrimp on the Barbie will ya?

I'm lying in bed still. Felt good to sleep a bit longer. I better get up before holm gets on my case. The chickens need their chores.

You boys are all Tim the Toolman in here right now any ways :ROFL)

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Cluckies Those are good ideas. I guess I have to explain my "goal" with a waterer that does not freeze.

I want as large a waterer as possible. We are leaving for 2 weeks shortly, I want something that would hold 2 weeks worth of water. I have a guy stopping by every other day to check on the birds and fill feeders and waterers. BUT I would like to limit him having to carry water for me.

I have another fount, However the darn thing leaks air somewhere. I have used two cans of the leak stopping paint on it. I still cannot stop the air leak. I think I am just going to get another fount and base heater. Maybe a couple to increase my volume of water storage.

The barrels work great with my homemade feeders I can let my birds stay in the coop and run for 3-5 days if I go to the cabin and not have to impose too much on a chicken sitter.

I wish I had a close neighbor with chickens so we could trade of bird sitting duties. but alas I do not. OR if my kids lived closer, but that will never happen...

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am more of a redneck McGyver than Tim the toolman..

6. Yeah. 800 bucks. I don't have wood heat so that is still too much. I was hoping it was a small wood splitter. Back to the maul.

7. willzpapa

willzpapa Papa Santee

Sep 26, 2015
    Hillbilly Heaven NC

With you ready to use heat lamps I am assuming you have power. Have you tried wrapping a heat tape around your waterer. Also remember those heated dip stick for vehicles ? Should work in water as well .

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Harbor freight has a small table top electric splitter, I have no idea how they work or if they work and what size wood it takes.

9. Cluckies

Cluckies Crowing Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by