Surviving Minnesota!

Good morning BR, cluckies, klop and little chicks from down undah.

Throw some shrimp on the Barbie will ya?

I'm lying in bed still. Felt good to sleep a bit longer. I better get up before holm gets on my case. The chickens need their chores.

You boys are all Tim the Toolman in here right now any ways :ROFL)

Cluckies Those are good ideas. I guess I have to explain my "goal" with a waterer that does not freeze.

I want as large a waterer as possible. We are leaving for 2 weeks shortly, I want something that would hold 2 weeks worth of water. I have a guy stopping by every other day to check on the birds and fill feeders and waterers. BUT I would like to limit him having to carry water for me.

I have another fount, However the darn thing leaks air somewhere. I have used two cans of the leak stopping paint on it. I still cannot stop the air leak. I think I am just going to get another fount and base heater. Maybe a couple to increase my volume of water storage.

The barrels work great with my homemade feeders I can let my birds stay in the coop and run for 3-5 days if I go to the cabin and not have to impose too much on a chicken sitter.

I wish I had a close neighbor with chickens so we could trade of bird sitting duties. but alas I do not. OR if my kids lived closer, but that will never happen...

Good morning BR, cluckies, klop and little chicks from down undah.

Throw some shrimp on the Barbie will ya?

I'm lying in bed still. Felt good to sleep a bit longer. I better get up before holm gets on my case. The chickens need their chores.

You boys are all Tim the Toolman in here right now any ways :ROFL)

I am more of a redneck McGyver than Tim the toolman..

Welcome to the thread Kimberly! Hey if you want to cyber suffer with us, you are welcome to do so! :D  

Hmmm, you could try it, maybe get those caged fixtures for over the bulb to make it a little safer?  I don't think a pad would work as your water itself isn't frozen right?  just the nipples?

But, anything is worth a try. You could maybe experiment with this, I know you already have those heated water founts?:
[COLOR=333333]Maybe moving your nipples up higher on our bucket would help. do you have extra nipples and an extra bucket to try moving them higher?[/COLOR]

10 degrees and all is well.....   

With you ready to use heat lamps I am assuming you have power. Have you tried wrapping a heat tape around your waterer. Also remember those heated dip stick for vehicles ? Should work in water as well .

Quote:
900x900px-LL-7436bb96_HeatedHN11-30-1410inst1.jpeg

Like this? I believe Ralphie already has a stock tank heater in there. But, a tank heater did not work for me. I had to change to an aquarium heater, now I'm trying a bird bath deicer (water doesn't need to be 78 degrees probably). for some reason the stock tank heater did not work in mine. maybe it was broke? So far the bird bath deicer is working well. no frozen water or nipples (yet).

Quote: I saw those. They look really hokey. I have some really big ash trunks the are stubborn and some other ash wood that I would like split smaller. I will wait for a nice below freezing day when I can do more damage. It will give me another reason to get out of the house when it is cold as well. I don't like putting on all the jackets and what not for staying in the cold for a long while so I need a better excuse.

Back
Top Bottom