Surviving Minnesota!

TFred: YES! "Rome was not built in a day." And 5 years later I still have improvements to get to. I never tore into those nest boxes to fix like I should have. Maybe this white stuff will pass and give a better November day or two. But if I'm honest with myself I'm scared to tear it apart and try the new idea. I don't want to screw it up.
I've been dancing around this for 3 years. Just a big chicken I am.
Will need to fix soon though...because it's rotting. ugh.

But Design to improve handling the snow might give you the push to do things faster than me. LOL. :D

This is why I have never went to Hutch to show . Knew it could happen .
Jerry,
Proof that you are smarter than the average bear.
MnChickMom, I wish my yard looked like the one in your photo. Instead it looks like Erlibrd's with snow times 3 or 4. It is not done yet, but I can tell you a shovel full of it weighs about 50 lb. or at least seems like it.
Good luck to those traveling today !
Good luck to those showing tomorrow !!

Good Morning Chickeners . . . . IT WILL be wonderful outside one day again in THIS November. We will have some lovely days ahead.

Bogtown - Tfred - yes, as chickeners we just kind of put up coops and live with them - to begin with. Then someone like MNchickMom comes along and gets it done right fairly early and my thought is 'now why didn't I do that?' I did not do that because I need a DH on-board with the idea of having chickens. This will be my 3rd winter and I have plans that will have to be carried out before winter number 4. While working on winterizing the coop (covering it with plastic) and filling in the draft spaces with cardboard I see I will definitely need to replace for stability and longevity this next year. But what if I relocate to Aitkin? Then I need a whole new set up. This spring should determine the outcome of the building. I highly doubt that a move will be made this soon. But the birds need to be here or there so I am waiting to make any major structure decisions. Doesn't that seem logical and not lazy? :lau

I just wish I had made the cross members on the top of the run elevated on one side so I could at least throw up a tarp with some slope.

Fairly minor, but still. I was debating not wrapping in plastic. Looks like I should. We will certainly get colder and windier than this.

Do you have high ventilation? if so, I think i'd shut the windows then and use just high vents.
The wind has been from the south and southwest the last few days here as well, it is turning cold and from the North tonight though... brrrr..

Yup there's high vents too and I do have a high east window it just needs a little work so it'll open.

So they did survive the night. The water froze so I guess I'm off to get a heater for that. There's a bit of snow as I left the windows open but I shut up the ones that will stay shut (on the list to fix that) and it's still pretty cozy in there. The wind did shift thus the snow in the coop but the chickens decided to sleep on top of the nesting boxes :rolleyes: so they seemed nice and toasty.

Then someone like MNchickMom comes along and gets it done right fairly early and my thought is 'now why didn't I do that?' I did not do that because I need a DH on-board with the idea of having chickens.

Having a DH on board is the only reason my chickens get the luxuries they do.....that and a really nice father in law that reminds his son...."Nobody is ever going to ask how long it took you, but they will comment on how nice it looks. Do it right the first time."

I amy or may not use "Grandpa's famous line" when dealing with my kids. :lau:love

Back
Top Bottom