Surviving Minnesota!

It feels warm this morning, I don't want to think about what's coming.

Bogtown sorry about Fi.

Rhetts good to hear the updates.

Aussie nice to see you are back.

I am thinking of cutting my coffee time short this morning. I might actually get to work , or I might have more coffee. I wish I could decide what to do. I am a tad depressed today after losing 1.6 billion dollars last night.

@Cyrus83 did you and @KlopKlop make a deal on those BCM's trio? Just wondering who I need to be putting an order in with for dark egg layers...

Or Ralphie when you were chick shopping at Runnings and all googledy eyed...did you see BCM's? or Welsummers? Minnie has those too...but she's on the other end of the state and her chicks get spoken for quickly.

Jerryse has my blue covered for me...bless him.

Just thinking about losing Fiona, which is a loss I feel for...but as I get into this chickening it does get easier and part of the gig if you will. So nobody feel too bad about it....but as I was saying: I feel even more strongly about raising birds on my own place from chick on. This adopting adult bird business may not be good not only from my standpoint...but for the bird's standpoint. Do the others that were chick raised have an advantage or a developed immunity to my soil conditions, coop conditions, flock dynamic. I think those are all factors and the younger you start your birds on your property the more adaptable they are to it, physically, biologically, and socially. I think this bird with the sloughings and such had a long underlying condition before I got her. I saw it in her isolation pen...thought it was worked out after a bit and still integrated her...but then saw the droppings with slough again. Wormed... IDK... A person could think all day on it...And what it comes down to is: I now have more room on the roosts and dealing with mites and this obviously ill adopted bird....JUST DO CHICKS. (For me anyhow)

The thought also came to me that I should let the flock dwindle down and be done for a while. As you all know I have two teenagers in sports. A chicken break wouldn't be the worst move ever for me. Let my soil rest. Get more ticks in the yard.....
Yah.

Well that was a fleeting thought. Never mind. Ha!

Chick shopping this spring it is.

Rhetts....I am beyond excited for you and that baby calf coming along. What lovely moments you are witnessing. OMGosh...would love to be up there to witness and share in the fun.

Ralphie...enjoy your work day.

I need to check my Powerball numbers to see if I won 4 bucks or something...and doubled my investment.

@Cyrus83 did you and @KlopKlop make a deal on those BCM's trio? Just wondering who I need to be putting an order in with for dark egg layers...

Or Ralphie when you were chick shopping at Runnings and all googledy eyed...did you see BCM's? or Welsummers? Minnie has those too...but she's on the other end of the state and her chicks get spoken for quickly.

Jerryse has my blue covered for me...bless him.

Just thinking about losing Fiona, which is a loss I feel for...but as I get into this chickening it does get easier and part of the gig if you will. So nobody feel too bad about it....but as I was saying: I feel even more strongly about raising birds on my own place from chick on. This adopting adult bird business may not be good not only from my standpoint...but for the bird's standpoint. Do the others that were chick raised have an advantage or a developed immunity to my soil conditions, coop conditions, flock dynamic. I think those are all factors and the younger you start your birds on your property the more adaptable they are to it, physically, biologically, and socially. I think this bird with the sloughings and such had a long underlying condition before I got her. I saw it in her isolation pen...thought it was worked out after a bit and still integrated her...but then saw the droppings with slough again. Wormed... IDK... A person could think all day on it...And what it comes down to is: I now have more room on the roosts and dealing with mites and this obviously ill adopted bird....JUST DO CHICKS. (For me anyhow)

The thought also came to me that I should let the flock dwindle down and be done for a while. As you all know I have two teenagers in sports. A chicken break wouldn't be the worst move ever for me. Let my soil rest. Get more ticks in the yard.....
Yah.

Well that was a fleeting thought. Never mind. Ha!

Chick shopping this spring it is.

Rhetts....I am beyond excited for you and that baby calf coming along. What lovely moments you are witnessing. OMGosh...would love to be up there to witness and share in the fun.

Ralphie...enjoy your work day.

I need to check my Powerball numbers to see if I won 4 bucks or something...and doubled my investment.

DW and I haven't pulled the trigger on taking Cyrus's flock. We have a lot going on right now with farm planning and home building planning (we are meeting with 2 homebuilders tomorrow) and want to make sure we aren't being rash before taking in a large number of birds.

You scared me for a minute saying you wanted to take a break... I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have chickens to care for!

DW and I haven't pulled the trigger on taking Cyrus's flock. We have a lot going on right now with farm planning and home building planning (we are meeting with 2 homebuilders tomorrow) and want to make sure we aren't being rash before taking in a large number of birds.

You scared me for a minute saying you wanted to take a break... I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have chickens to care for!

Rashness is not a trait I associate with you Kloppers.

I am sure you will do what is right for you. Integrating two flocks can be tricky, it is good you think it through. I know with a couple "flocks" that free range together in the summer swapping birds back and forth can be a pain in the rear, a whole new one, WOW..

But the reward of Cyrus's dark brown eggs would be worth it!

I can understand taking a chicken break, they do tie you down. I wish I had someone a mile or two away I could trade off chicken sitting duties with. Now that I know Delta allows Companion Turkeys we will be able to fly more. Judy, Ethel, JJ and I will have a great time touring the country.

Rashness is not a trait I associate with you Kloppers.

I am sure you will do what is right for you.   Integrating  two flocks can be tricky, it is good you think it through.  I know with a couple "flocks" that free range together in the summer swapping birds back and forth can be a pain in the rear, a whole new one, WOW..

But the reward of Cyrus's dark brown eggs would be worth it!

I can understand taking a chicken break,  they do tie you down. I wish I had someone a mile or two away I could trade off chicken sitting duties with. Now that I know Delta allows Companion Turkeys we will be able to fly more.  Judy, Ethel, JJ and I will have a great time touring the country.

Ever since you said 'rash' last night I have been hooked on that word and keep using to the point of overuse now... Not sure why

Kloppers I forgot to compliment you on your fodder set up.  I would love to do more of that stuff.

Looks great.  Are you running into mold issues at all?

Thanks!
No mold issues, if anything it may be too dry as I mentioned. I water them 2x a day and will see how that goes. I have 4 bins full of 6 but the oldest ones are only 2 days old. I have been doubling up days until it gets full. I will be feeding barely sprouted fodder in the beginning but I have piles of oats to get through and no use letting bins sit empty. Tonight I will only start 1 new bin a night going forwards.

BC I would ask Minnie about Wellies. I am going down there and would be willing to bring some back up for you if you wanted. It is still a 1hour and 30 minutes here.

Last edited:
Kloppers I forgot to compliment you on your fodder set up. I would love to do more of that stuff.

Looks great. Are you running into mold issues at all?

I am going to dry and do something similar to what Kloppers did. I really like the idea and I am sure the birdies would like the sprouts.

So Kloppers Nice job from me too..

AND do not worry about the over use of the word "rash". I am just a natural trend setter and people like to emulate me.. Which I why I have a hard time understanding why more people do not wear socks and flip flops..

BTW it is early afternoon Coffee time now..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom