1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No wonder those Ghetto Turkeys want to hang around you. Birds of a feather.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Speaking of the "blood and crips' Turkeys, I wrote this on the turkey thread, some of you might enjoy my misery...

My turkeys are not as dumb as I had hoped. I went out to put everyone to bed. Ethel and one other hen were in the chicken coop again. The others followed me, I saw they had lots of shell corn and BOSS on the ground in their pen. I went and got the bucket from by Bert's pen, and started walking back to the turkey pen. Not one turkey followed me. I shook the bucket pounded on the side of it, and they stood there and looked at me like I was an idiot. I called them. They stayed perfectly still talking amongst themselves. I figured out they must know the bucket is empty. I went around one shed snuck into the shed with the grain in it. I put 8 inches or so in the bottom and walked out. Every stinking turkey was right there, following me like I was the pied piper of turkeys. I went into the pen and pretended to dump some grain (treats) on the ground where the left over treats were.

Again not one turkey came into the pen. They just looked at me, staring waiting for me to actually dump them some grain. I tipped a few handfuls on the ground and they all came running in. except for Ginger and a couple others. I finally got all of them into the pen except one. A stupid little hen that I think Coffee should own. I chased her around and around and around. She ran by the door every time.

I went and ran the turkeys into the turkey house. No small feat, mind you. I blocked them in with a piece of OSB. When the turkeys were out of sight the hen went bat poop crazy! I caught her and carried her into the pen and let her go, she was making that " I am lost" noise and the "HELP he is going to hurt me" noise. which got all the turkeys and chickens screaming. It was not a fun time. I put her in the pen and she ran around screaming "the sky is falling" and "I am lost" I knocked the OSB down blocking the door.
    JJ and Sidekick were the first two out, running to her side. I think I got the middle toe and was called Bellybutton again tonight.

Something is up though, the toms are really fighting. Even JJ was putting the run on Sidekick today. I am not sure if it is just JJ ensuring his top tom spot or the hens are in "heat". Do turkeys and chicken go into heat?

1 person likes this.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ralphie: I sent you a PM on your Creamettes. They are indeed Jill Rees lines.

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I think you might be getting some Turkey eggs soon. yes....

5. duluthralphie

I got that thanks, I was looking on google and here to see if I could find pictures of the Greenfire Originals and the Reese ones to see how they are different............................ Heidi must not have had them very long before we got ours.

6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    No. I think she had just got them.

7. duluthralphie

I am not ready for that yet. I need to build more breeding coops and pens!

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well it may have been close. The Rees line looks to have that more whiter head...and these guys were a little more tan or hazel. She got them Spring/Summer 2014. It would be on the line for their Rees line.

9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I managed to thoroughly peeve Conrad tonight. I groped all 5 of his Dixie Rainbow gals to see how meaty they felt as I start to think about who gets to sure meat babies with whom. The crown jewel came when I picked him up. You would have thought I stuck him with a branding iron. Fortunately he is vocal to me but knows I'm the boss and won't try and mark me like ralphie got the other day.

They are all pretty big but definitely not CX big. I think round 1 will be Conrad with the rainbow girls and Betty white my CX hen and Conrad (a chunky buckeye) over my 5 Cornish hens (3 dark, 2 wlr) and see what that gives me.

I worry a little about fertility with Conrad. He is a big boy and I have seen him take a fall trying to do his deed and the hens don't give a second try.

10. duluthralphie

They are nice looking birds, the hens especially. The rooster were until the winter hit and now they have "cushion combs". I am really thinking of trying to sell Breeding trios of the adults and being done with cream legbars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by