Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    The only thing I could see as a 'problem' with that is feed conversion. My rainbows eat A LOT! That may or not matter to you but it is something to consider

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    It does during the winter, during the summer and fall they all seem to Free range more than I feed them. I Actually do not think they eat much more than the others though. The Boys with the Guinea Hen never seem to run out of feed. Maybe they are just living on love in there.

3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I suppose, I didnt think about that in the summer. I can definitely get on board with your idea as that being your DP flock. My rainbows are beautiful and well mannered girls. Plus the boys are actually worth growing out and eating.

That said, i do enjoy my BAs and RIRs in my layer flocks. I havent really thought about what our long term goals/plans are in terms of how long we will keep our laying hens around before we add new pullets. Right now almost all of our hens are the same age except for 12 of the BAs who are about 6 months older or so. The bulk of the flock will be 1 year this spring.

That is for future farm meetings though. we dont need to think about it until next year probably. if we will hatch our own chicks or buy new chicks. Or maybe we get lucky and a broody or two handles the problem for us :)

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    This fall I thinkI am going to butcher all my Welsummers and use chicks I hatch to replace them. I definetly need to find some more Buff Brahmas. They aee the second prettiest chicken I have ever seen. I know there is a breeder with nice ones in MN so will have to see...

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh no, so very sorry, that is so sad [​IMG]

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop

In May. I have like a half a picture left of space on this phone too. A video is hit and miss let alone a baby watch video. Lol

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

This is not just some lame excuse to keep us from duct taping your cell phone to the back end of a cow is it?

You know you can put it in a plastic bag if you don't like cow poop on it.

8. Oh no. Sorry BC. So horrible.

104 posts!! You guys are CRAZY!! Nice work!!

I think I am going to make it a point to ride by some BYCers this summer to see all the wonderful chickens you guys will be raising.

1 person likes this.
  9. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    You are welcome to come by here. then we could make a run for the driftless

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    @KlopKlop Ok, now after seeing how cold it is going to get -8 for a high on sunday, I think your combined coop idea may have merit. the dimensions you gave are plenty big for that many birds, as long as you have ventilation up high, it would be fine as long as they get along. also, aren't they used to free ranging together? I've not see your two coops though, so can't say for sure...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by