Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Jerry what type of wood are you working with there? How will you dry it once you mill it?
    In my youth, I spent part of a winter cutting wood which we had milled on site. Cedar, pine, spruce, balsam, oak and birch. An old gentleman brought in his portable rig. He had worked in the business since the 30s or 40s and was missing part of one arm to prove it.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have not used my mill much, but I have thought of using a small mainly solar powered kiln using plastic walls (clear and black) with a small fan to move the air out a vent.

From what I read it has to get to 120 degrees to "pop" the cells to dry properly. I have only used my home sawn wood for outdoor stuff, I was going to cut my own flooring from oaks here. BUT found oaks here do not make good flooring because of our extreme cold winter but flaws in oak boards.

That may or may not be a fact, I just did not want to chance it.

3. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    I don't think it could be any worse than me giving my little silkie a bath in the kitchen sink. It stepped in a few steamy piles of poop recently. I just remember hearing "WE EAT OFF OF THE DISHES THAT GO IN THERE".......and then something like "WHY DOES IT HAVE SO MANY TOES". To top it off, Joey the silkie then had to hang out inside and watch Netflix until fully dry. On the couch it was me, DH, and Joey in between. And I'm still married...... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    I have oak logs cut . I know it is tough to nail but plan to use screws . I have heard about the flaws in the oak . Ralph we have a lot in common . I have seen that they now make a steel siding that looks like logs . I want a deck on 2 sides . One in front and one on a end overlooking the wetland to the lake . Not sure yet about a basement . A walkout facing the wetland could take advantage of the slope for a walkout . Wife says no but ????? I plan to prefab walls so I can get it up and roofed in one summer . I will work out something for drying .

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

In the spirit of complete disclosure, it was not just the flaws in the oak that stopped me. My Dad was still alive when I was using the sawmill a lot. He was in a powered wheelchair. Every time I fired it up he would roll right up next to it. He had lost his ability to recognize danger and refused to stay back. SO I stopped using it and put it away, buying my flooring instead.

I am now changing bearings and putting a different feed on it than going to sell it. I really have no reason for it anymore.

I found oak cut faster and better than pine. and the blades lasted a lot longer.

6. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Hmmm I may be interested .

7. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We are number 5 on the boards today. But this thread has 2nd and 3rd place in top rated posts.

8. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

What the heck is this!! My brother was going through his tackle box and this was attached to the top!! And it wiggles!! What kind of baby moth is it!!

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Based on my years of never being wrong and great learning, I think it is safe to say, "it is a bug!"!!

10. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I named it Jerry and am going to let him live in a tiny jar without a lid in my room.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by