Surviving Minnesota!

I kept from my husband for nearly 10 years that I knew how to fillet fish. He was beyond surprised and I could see the mind working behind those enlightened eyes. Sure enough after a long day on the ice soon after...he sent the bucket of fish home with the kid and he sat in the fish house and played poker the rest of the night while I had to deal with the fish. I told him he will find the grumpy old man manuever (throw a small fish in the back of his truck until it stinks) if he ever did that again.

Yes - so much to say to this conversation this morning! Do you think the women are taking over? My DH started hunting a couple of years ago and brought home the pheasants in a bag. Laid them in the kitchen sink. I asked him what this was - got a simple answer; asked him WHY they were in the sink - the answer was so I could clean them. Ha! You play - you pay. I have NEVER cleaned a fish or a bird and I NEVER will. LOL

Yes - so much to say to this conversation this morning! Do you think the women are taking over? My DH started hunting a couple of years ago and brought home the pheasants in a bag. Laid them in the kitchen sink. I asked him what this was - got a simple answer; asked him WHY they were in the sink - the answer was so I could clean them. Ha! You play - you pay. I have NEVER cleaned a fish or a bird and I NEVER will. LOL

Judy claims complete stupidity when it comes to cleaning fish and game. I know she knows how to do it. She cleans chickens with the best of them. Somehow she thinks I will not notice she is faking it on the wild game.

Yes - so much to say to this conversation this morning! Do you think the women are taking over?  My DH started hunting a couple of years ago and brought home the pheasants in a bag. Laid them in the kitchen sink.  I asked him what this was - got a simple answer; asked him WHY they were in the sink - the answer was so I could clean them. Ha! You play - you pay. I have NEVER cleaned a fish or a bird and I NEVER will.  LOL

I got yelled at for having 2 geese in the sink... Maybe its cuz theu were still living... All they wanted to do was swim...

All this building talk has me thinking about my cabin project . We have to settle on a floor plan . Well we have it down 2 choices . I want to use my own native lumber . Still not sure on if I will hire a sawyer or do it myself . I have logs cut . This years project is to saw lumber .

Shes so cute!!

Thanks!

Great looking pony, Careful, I think she/he is lulling you into a sense of compliancy, before he/she attacks.....
lau.gif

Have to admit the kids look happy as pigs in mud with the pony though...

You may be right. LOL She already "attacked" my oldest. made her hold her while we were unloading the hay. The pony kept rubbing her head on my daughter. I guess she needs to learn a bit of respect, and my daughter is too timid to tell her no, and the pony did it hard enough to hurt her. It won't take long for them all to get used to each other though.
smile.png

Oh my gosh, how wonderful! She is beautiful and the kids already in love with her. So cute! Now, are you getting another one? Or do you have goats or something? I've heard horses/ponies need compsnionship. A "herd" so to speak. Is that true?
Thank you, and yes they are so excited! Yep, horses really should have company. They are herd animals, and don't do well alone, unless you spend a LOT of time with them. Our horses will get attention, but not that much. She will be alone until spring though. Either I will get another horse (I want one for me), or if I haven't found one by spring, I will either "adopt" or board one of my mom's horses. That way she will have a friend, and my mom will have one less to take care of. (I think she has 11 now.) I want goats someday too, but I'll probably start with babies, and don't think that would work so well. :)

Good morning everyone!!

Good morning!

Morning . I have been busy the last few days . Took advantage of the warm spell . That is ending and below zero temps coming . So time to rest . I have lights on in the creamett pen . Got a leghorn egg yesterday . I have 4 light browns in with them . Past prime layers I bought at the sale barn last summer . Should be getting so creamett eggs soon .

I hear you. I have been outside working on stuff, too. I have a fence that needs to get done today. I want to hide inside as much as possible in the next few days.

I have been shopping this morning.

I love Amazon. I have three thermometers in the incubator. They all read differently. I need to figure out the real temps. Last spring I fought and fought to figure out the real temps.

I found a "certified" thermometer" I hope it works. It was pretty cheap for a certified one. It is made for tracking a woman's fertility cycles. I hope I can use it to adjust my other thermometers. As a side note, I can use it on Judy to make sure she never gets pregnant again. I can never trust her into not tricking me into having another kid or two!

edited to add a double negative, No, Idea why I did that. It didn't sound good without it.

Ha! Really though, please let me know how the girly thermometer works. I really need to get a good one for my bator, too.

Kitten photos, @duluthralphie ??

Cute! We have 4 barn cats. They came with the farm. It's a mama and her babies (she had 4, but we lost one on the road.) They are all bigger than their mama now though. I should take pictures. My sweet husband spent some time making them a really nice cat house out of a huge tote and some foam board insulation. They all snuggle up in there at night, and when it gets stupid cold.

Looks like she'll be getting nice and spoiled by those 3 kiddos!
That is the plan!
thumbsup.gif

My sick pullet is still in the basement. She is eating and drinking fine, and look a little better, but still stumbling around and she does this weird breathing thing. She also makes a crazy noise that I am guessing is something between a cough and a sneeze. It's weird. As soon as I open the tote though, she tries to get out. She doesn't run away, just stands outside the tote and pecks. She doesn't mind my pets and attention at all, even though they are not tame birds. It's like she knows I am trying to help. That, or just doesn't have enough energy to fight me.
tongue.png
I don't think that is it though, as she reacts to the dog if he moves to fast around her. (He always "helps" when I check on her.)

All this building talk has me thinking about my cabin project . We have to settle on a floor plan . Well we have it down 2 choices . I want to use my own native lumber . Still not sure on if I will hire a sawyer or do it myself . I have logs cut . This years project is to saw lumber .

Fun! Do you have land you are putting it on, or building it at your homestead?

Back
Top Bottom