Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Creamettes x Chanteclers. That sounds interesting. I prefer Ameraucanas for a blue egg producing variety. I have shoveled the walks and etc. three times in the last 24 hours. It is good healthy exercise in the fresh air.
    The little woman is currently installing a new battery in her 4 wheeler, and will then plow the driveway and area in front on my coops. She is quite handy to have around, and lately she has been talking about installing hardwood floors in the living and dining rooms. I told her that is a good idea, as she needs to keep in shape for next building season with the stone, blocks and pavers.
    But she needs to hire a new crew, and good help is very hard to find.
    The incoming weather is forecast to be very cold let's hope it doesn't last long.

2. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    For a serious effort I would add light brown leghorn preferably rose comb . This will take away the brown tint in the eggs . Plus keep rose comb in there for making cushion with the pea comb . Good layers . You may want the heavier birds so maybe no Leghorn . A cross back to creamett will get you some use able breeders .

1 person likes this.
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I am impressed!

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    The greenish Creamette egg...may be from a tidge of brown coming out of her ink cartridge or bit of brown bloom.

For the most part my birds will have same egg patterns but every once a while they have a color adjustment or run out of ink...what have you. Then next egg cycle they restart with their regular egg.

This morning I had to walk back up to the house and get another light bulb for my cookie tin heater and melt out the ice block that formed in the fount. I dislike two hikes to the coop in the morning. Especially with a fresh 5-6 inches of snow.

Sadie Mae is responding well to her meds. She is once again using her leg like a dog on crack rimadyl.
    I am the Master though...once again...This is my dog. As much as DS claims her...she is mine.

Jerryse I almost spit out my coffee seeing you Call our Cream Legbars Creamettes. It's a lot easier isn't it....Kind of cute like a 1950's Detroit Singing group.

Ivie enjoy your day deciding when and how you'll spend it. Making the dinner you want to make. Having control of the remote control and not having to pick up after somebody. AHHHHH....I'm totally green with Envy.

BB Game tonight for DS and Tournament for DD. Ah the life. In some sick way I know I will miss it all when it's done. So soaking it up.

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    What's up with the Avatar Ralphie? You're sharing medical informaton without coming right out and telling us you have piles?

6. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Impressive. I like this lady of yours.

7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Kloppers. Good luck with the builders. You are in the honey moon phase of planning. That's awesome. I will tell you that building a house is stressful. DH and I had a major fight on each house we built (2 of them). It completely wears you out but nice when you're all done and have things the way you want them.

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    ejb's wife picked up the pliers MinnesotaNice. Never pick up the pliers.

1 person likes this.
  9. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Good to know. I did use the drill the other day to sturdy up the heating lamp I put out for the ungrateful chickens. DH was not impressed. Something about battery going dead, wrong screws, blah, blah. I think he was just jealous of my craftsmanship. I'll have to show him some pointers.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I kept from my husband for nearly 10 years that I knew how to fillet fish. He was beyond surprised and I could see the mind working behind those enlightened eyes. Sure enough after a long day on the ice soon after...he sent the bucket of fish home with the kid and he sat in the fish house and played poker the rest of the night while I had to deal with the fish. I told him he will find the grumpy old man manuever (throw a small fish in the back of his truck until it stinks) if he ever did that again.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by