Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I just ran out and collected eggs and took some pictures of the Creamettes for the guy that wants to buy the chicks, His wife and kids wanted to see what they looked like.

I was disappointed a couple of my hens even have the tips of the combs nipped with frost bite.

Then I checked on the Half breed rooster ( coffee's rooster and they are nipped today, they were not yesterday) But I am sure almost 70% humidity outdoors in this cold, I suppose that is it. The rooster do not go high into the coop and I have so much room and ventilation in there. Just ticks me off!

Bert and his Girls are all outside, except the one sitting on the nest. The cold does not seem to bother them. My wimpy dog was crying to come in after about 15 minutes...

That wind is making it real raw!

2. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

I just sold mine last Spring. If I would have known . . . . . .

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Ivie come on over and do my chores, I will come over and get yours for you in May...

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Yeah. Chickens do good in the comb but that darn humidity really is a comb killer.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    BR. I would like mine fixed, BUT I am not sure I would ride it much. As much fun as I have had on it. I know I am getting older. Bikes require a lot of agility that us older people lose. We try to deny it, but it is a fact.

If I went out riding a bike I could accept my fate, would have no choice, BUT if because of my increasing age and vanity to not admit aging, I hurt someone else, That is a different story.

I have seen lots of old guys that thought they were still young, not do so well on bikes.

7. lvie

i had a Kawasaki 500 Vulcan. Only 400 lbs. I learned how to ride that little bugger in the wind and keep up with my DH on his 1500. But alas, I was not riding all that much and fell away from it. then I considered that dangerous. Better to ride often than not. Kind of like golfing. A couple times a year does not keep the form and game fun. DH is selling his 1500 Vulcan. He is onto other 'things.'

8. You may be losing agility but bikes are gaining it quickly. You can eaisly make up for it. If you love travel and would love to do the great lakes and many other adventures and need a bike that will make up for any loss of you agility, has tons of room to pack things, never breaks down leaving you stranded and rides well on just about any road. Get an adventure bike. These bikes are amazing and will last longer than you and keep their value. http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2015/2015-BMW-R1200GS-Adventure.htm

10. lvie

yep - thats one bike that would be fun! Go granny! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by