Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Everyone must be hibernating today

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have decided to institute a new breeding program in Minnesota. For those of us on this thread with turkeys..

We call it Trade-A-Tom or TAT for short.

Holm sign on, I need your Tom's genes!!!!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Morning chores. My little BA is dropping weight. She was wormed this fall. So I'm suspicious that little sneezing issue has made her susceptible to something else. IDK....She's a 4 year old hen and just so SWEEET. I just love her. She will be a hard one to lose. But I think I'm going to. Whatever is going on with her...I'm sure will kill her. She's the first one popping off the roost though. First one to greet me. She almost rubs up against my leg like a cat. She's so friendly. I picked her up to help her down today and she's so light. I picked up my big SLW boss hen and there's a big difference.

I don't think I'll be pro-active with it. Keep her comfortable and fed as long as her demeanor is up and good. It is what it is. She has given me some sweet memories and I adore her... has a sweet memorable personality. But I never been able to fix the big things. And I doubt I will be able to fix what's wrong with this girl.

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    That's a bummer BC..

Good thing we know someone with BA's breeding this year. I know it is my imagination, but some breeds seem friendlier than others and my BA's are one.

I just came in from doing the egg harvest. We have been cold too long. I thought. "gee it does not feel that bad out here today" only to come in and see it is still 2 below.

I lost 4 eggs to the cold again. Oh well, the hens like eating crushed boiled eggs and egg shells.

This coming weekend will be big changes around here. Way less Toms, and my birds will be separated into their breeding groups. I think I am going to put the PC's with JJ and his hens. They have the whole turkey house that goes unused for their coop.

The BA's will go with Sidekick, unless Holm decides to participate in the TAT program. Then his Tom would be there and sidekick would visit sunny Detroit Lakes.

The only fly in the ointment is Porter and what to do with him until Coffee can take him. I might just make him a bachelor living in the chicken coop.

The Creamette will be split up in small pens. Then in about 3 weeks I can get into serious hatching. I really enjoy hatching time, even if Judy is not all that happy with my hatching plans.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

3 people like this.
  7. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Wow, he is soooo cool!

8. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh no, that is sad for sure. I'd try and help her get through it though, it might just be the really cold weather. add probiotics to the water, it is good for everyone. put vet RX over her eyes and beak and hope for the best.

She is lovely.

9. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    While looking for the Muttlucks and sherpa photos, I ran across these photos I took at work a couple of years ago. look at that big guy on the left in the first photo, he came about chest high on me! (that is not saying much I know, as I am pretty short, lol)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

That is going to be Coffee with Porter. He is close if not over 3 ft tall.

I think he will be the biggest heritage Tom I will have raised to this point.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by