Surviving Minnesota!

I need some opinions..

My Chanticlers are driving me nuts.. I have not had an egg in months..

I think they are eating them... and because I am a softy have not clipped beaks yet.. I put them in with my RP hens a few weeks back and I get eggs daily from them...

Is it possible or likely they would eat their own eggs and not the turkey eggs???

The future of the Chanticlers is in your hands.. they are one step from being burgers...

I finally got up nerve to cut the ugly ear tags from my pretty heifers’ ears. I was so worried they’d jerk away and I’d end up cutting them. Ha! They barely noticed. Didn’t even get up. I did manage to cut my own thumb, tho. Dummy. That cutter thing is so sharp I didn’t even know until I saw blood. Oops! :rolleyes:

I finally got up nerve to cut the ugly ear tags from my pretty heifers’ ears. I was so worried they’d jerk away and I’d end up cutting them. Ha! They barely noticed. Didn’t even get up. I did manage to cut my own thumb, tho. Dummy. That cutter thing is so sharp I didn’t even know until I saw blood. Oops! :rolleyes:

Why did you want them off?

@duluthralphie Maybe roll out nest boxes? I was going to make some for my girls. I even bought the astroturf nest pads, but it seemed like a lot of trouble for a problem I didn’t have yet. You’ve put a lot of work into those birds though, haven’t you? Or maybe it was the diamond encrusted ones... Anyway, if you really want to keep them, it’s something you could think about...

Last edited:
Why did you want them off?

LOL Vanity. The ear tags are just ugly, and they’ve got their old names on them. It’s not like I have dozens, let alone hundreds of cattle. At most I’ll have three cow/calf pairs at a time so I don’t need tags to keep them sorted. They’re prettier this way.

LOL Vanity. The ear tags are just ugly, and they’ve got their old names on them. It’s not like I have dozens, let alone hundreds of cattle. At most I’ll have three cow/calf pairs at a time so I don’t need tags to keep them sorted. They’re prettier this way.
But how will I know I get the right one for burger meat now?

:old

Ralphie 2 things . If you moved the chants they probably quit laying . Most hens will . Second check the egg exit ramp . If in use it is large from frequent use , pliable and often moist . A change will often stop egg eating . So my best guess is the moved stopped laying . The few laid after the move were eaten . The new pen gave them other things to do . I had a bantam egg eater moved here to a bigger pen and she quit .

I need some opinions..

My Chanticlers are driving me nuts.. I have not had an egg in months..

I think they are eating them... and because I am a softy have not clipped beaks yet.. I put them in with my RP hens a few weeks back and I get eggs daily from them...

Is it possible or likely they would eat their own eggs and not the turkey eggs???

The future of the Chanticlers is in your hands.. they are one step from being burgers...
Maybe they just aren't laying yet this year? I have several freeloaders right now.
I agree on checking under the skirts. I can pretty much see at a glance who is laying and who isn't.

Back
Top Bottom