Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I use to watch football religiously, years ago. I had seasom tickets to the vikings. BUT when Denny Greene traded the entire team and future of the team for Herschel Walker, I stopped watching football and gave up my tickets. That move still ticks me off.

I like to watch Basketball in person (college and High School) but that is mainly because my son was a High school star and had a D2 scholarship.

I have never really gotten into hockey. Plus when we had the motel Hockey kids would destroy rooms and drive business away. We ended up refusing hockey teams. I know it is prejudicial, but it costs us too much money having them there.

2. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Once I get past the bitterness and acidity of this coffee concoction, this is the best coffee I have ever had. It could be, because I was prepared for a coffeeless day.

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

We sell ours for $3 a dozen and we are on the high side of breaking even in terms of feed and cartons. Aka it pays for my hobby :)

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I sell at 3 bucks too. But I am not breaking even at that, I have no plans to ever break even. BUT I do not try to maximize production or limit expenses.
    and as I said I have way too many freeloaders.

I should eat 4-5 of the roosters, but I have not decided which one I want to keep as a back-up in case one of mine die.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Because we were low on eggs I went to those neighbors and they were asking for $3 and they were beautiful pullet eggs. I was anticipating an increase from the last time I visited and had in my pocket $8 (for two dozen). Well I gave them all $8 and told them thank you and that I know what their true value is.

$1.75 is nuts and slapping themselves in the face.

Congrats on your sale BTW Kloppers. Did you do a sign at the end of your road? There was an older couple that would go to the Municiple and sell their eggs to all the bar folks. They'd have 30 dozen eggs in their trunk. Sell them all, but have all the profits drunk up in the process. LOL. But by george they'd sell out. LOL. But people knew how good the eggs were and would actually come in I suppose on Monday nights or whatever and get their eggs and a toddy and head home.

Ahhh. Yes. Small towns. [​IMG]

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I do both live and freeze dried for my girls. Live I usually save for fall winter.

@KlopKlop Those potatoes you are trying to keep for seed, are they red or white? If they are red, there is nothing you can do to make them last, they will always start growing november/december (at least mine did). Your best bet is white potatoes, those I can make go until early spring in my unheated basement, it is around 50 down there in the winter.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Mom and Dad always had white potatoes on the farm. And now I know why. Thanks Cluckies. I learned my one thing for today. [​IMG] Interesting.

Dad does all white potatoes but I think he did do some reds for interest. I suppose he eats those first...obviously.
    I'll have to ask him if he knows this though. Or if he just did Whites because that's what G & G did. Will ask this weekend.

I did also order mealworms from Amy at WestKnoll Farms. Yep. Had Mealies shipped from North Carolina for spoiled chickens 4 years ago. LOL. Those were beautiful, beautiful mealies and I probably have more offspring from that order. I didn't say it before because I wasn't sure if I could find the info on the name of the farm. But dug it up on some old threads. But those were the only two orders I did. With live meal worms you only have to do one or two orders to start your own and not have to buy again. So that's another advantage of live.

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Morning Coffee1st. Good morning ejb.

9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ralphie I see a new keurig and Peruvian coffee in your DS and DDIL's future. Especially if Grampie has got more babysitting gigs in his future. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Only one more day here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by