Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

I meant inside the house, not the coop. LOL

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I would be decorating the outside of the coop with rooster feathers if my roosters attacked me.

Here I was all excited thinking the next trip to Monticello I would be seeing colored lights in your coop!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    First meal worms I ordered were from PetCo. Small 1/2 inchers that needed more growing time. They are from the Darkling beetle. They are non flyers -just crawlers. They need warmer temps to have the speediest cycle. 75-80 degrees. They get 70 in our house. ;). I keep them in the mechanical room in the basement. Rubber made bins with small holes drilled in the cover. They cannot crawl up the sides and get out the holes. I use two bins about 16x20 inches and 4 inches deep.
    Clear. So I can tell if I need more fruit. Two bins. One for momma and papa beetles and one for tasty treats. I also freeze the wheat bran after I buy it for one to two days to kill off any grain mites. That may want to explode and turn my mechanical room white. Then I add it to the mealies. Cleaning out the mealworms poop and separating them is a dusty dry sorta gross job but the power of the mealworm cannot be denied with chickens.

I should decorate my coop too. Get some dogwood branches and boughs. But i think I'll get the house done first.

Brainerd run is being delayed until tomorrow night. DD wants to go along. Cannot turn down some time with a 13 year old who will be grown up too fast. Soakin it up.

Morning ivie. Morning Ralphie. Good luck with coffee making. Erkkkk.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have made coffee! It is some of the most vile coffee ever known to mankind.

I boiled water on the stove then scooped the water into the coffee maker filter and let it drain through.

I think it tastes like a bad cup of coffee with chicory in it. Not good, but it works.

I can see me as a drug addict. I would be using the dirtiest germ infested needles (if I could get over my fear of shots) buying or steal my drugs from the dealers with the worst reps...based on my need for coffee.

5. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    That's awesome, Klop! I think more and more folks are getting into chickens, so it's great you're also able to talk to people and tell them about the little feathered dinosaurs we all love!

6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG] It will have to do Ralphie...I suppose.

let the chickens out. they got apple slices.

Sadie poop pile in the basement again. She's as quick and sneaky as a cat. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Carrie Underwood huh? She does like hockey. Wish I had her legs. Goals.

7. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    With all this mealworm talk what does everyone prefer? Freeze dried or the real deal?

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Real deal for me MinnesotaNice. The chickens see them moving and their eyes bug out! Plus they are fresh and I know what they've eaten. There fore I know what my chickens are eating.

Top Rated Posts:

15,570,271 posts total on site
    Last Day▾ | 7 days | 30 days | All time
    Shows the posts created during the time period that got the most “Ovation” from other members during the time period.

1. #1.
      My nephew got his first deer..... by Cyrus83 in Surviving Minnesota!
    [​IMG] This is Fantastic!

1 person likes this.
  9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I would have to change that "liking" of hockey, if she is ever going to replace Judy. I am not a hocky fan.

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    The whole pro striking for more money and not skating a whole season does tend to get obnoxioius...but I do enjoy college and high school hockey. The whole fluidity and movement of the sport is sort of mesmerizing for me to watch. Everything is based on anticipation. They always have to think ahead. Crazy sport.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by