Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Wow!! What a bunch of great pictures Holm!!
    Good morning!!

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    It must have been a warm night here. Both of my rubber pan waters were thawed this AM and the poop boards were too which was kinda gross but what are you going to do...

I determined I will need to much out one of my coops this weekend. The saw dust is just too soiled to cover, deep litter style. I am in there daily busting up the compacted dust where the chickens walk mist. Another fun job :)

Good morning all! Time to make some coffee and head to work!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Yep it's a soft poop day.

Time to get the kids out of bed and feed the dog.
    Work today.
    Feed run to Brainerd. Get sime thanksgiving stuff too.

Husband and buddies drug the ice house ( poker club) out of the woods yesterday. Anticipating ice fishing and cards will soon be in their future. They need to fix a skid on the house first though and about 2-3 weeks of hard freezing or more.

Have a great day all.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Good morning.

Coffee is being brewed. Posts are all read.

Do you raise the meal worms in the house? What kind of beetle do they become? Would Judy notice if i raised some? How many can you get in a 10 gallon aquarium?
    Do they ever get loose?

If I was to try to raise some and even one got loose in the house, I would expect to be smothered in my sleep. I have wanted to get some for the girls, but the price is ridiculous for them. We use to have them in the one old granary when I was a kid, They lived in the ground corn fines and dust.

That granary is long gone now.

Sleepy what if you made a small protective "hoop" or whatever shape you have out of hardware cloth and put it about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in front of the pad? Would that keep the birds from being able to touch it? I have no idea I just use a heat lamp.

Still babysitting last day I this month, I only have next Monday and I am being fired from this job, I can hardly wait. Even though it is my DIL and grandkids here, it is not like being at home, and there is so much I need to be doing on these nicer days. Home is better for me.

They have a crappy coffee making so I have to choke the coffee down. I have voiced concerns they need a newer better one, but it appears to fall on deaf ears.

I see on craigslist there area bunch of new "chicken" people in the St Cloud area. I check both St Cloud and Minneapolis craigslist living about same distance from both. I found eggs for $1.75 a dozen twice! Must be people with new pullets that are laying like crazy. The few eggs I am getting are from my young girls. (with the exception of the young Creamettes who think they are just too good to lay an egg).

One of the things I need to get done is set a light in their coop, so I can start incubating in a month. At this rate the incubator will be empty.

Well, nothing more here in the south metro area. I shall keep you informed of anything that does happen?

5. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I always appreciate a good CL tip ralphie

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Life has taken an ugly turn for the worse.

I was hearing their coffee maker brewing my coffee, but I got no pleasant odors.

I went to check it, the water is hot, the coffee pot is hot, the coffee grounds are dry it is not working. They have no back up coffee maker? Who does not have a couple back up coffee makers?

What am I going to do?. I need coffee!

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Selling at a a buck 75 is losing money and I would feed the eggs back to the chickens at that.

Feed costs are not being rcovered at that. I am not sure feed costs are recoved at 3 bucks. But then I have a lot of freeloaders to feed.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Grats Cyrus! I see this post made number one post for yesterday!

1 person likes this.
  9. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

I say congratulations too. Number one post? Its gotta be the combo. The deer, the jacket (so beautiful for MN autumn) and the hat. It looks good along with the deer!

10. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahhhh - yes I think I have joined this thread in mind and body. Coffee before me. Catching up on reading. Two hens in the nesting box this a.m. That silly rooster is a grumpy young one in the a.m. Poor hens and I always keep something between me and him in the morning. I think I will decorate the outside of my coop for xmas this year. That should look lovely with all the plastic. I don't have the gumption to decorate much inside. I don't think it will be used for family gatherings anyway. Lets see, what else? Oh! What else about chickens? MEALWORMS! Did you order your first batch online? I will go read the links and find out. Just being lazy. Washer should be fixed today unless the guy is a airhead. He won't be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by